best OB for a Young 780 WB

My 97 Honda 15 HP outboard on my Young 780 WB is  showing its age.

What is the best replacement and why?

The honda is heavy but quite economical on fuel pushing the boat at 6.8 knots with a high thrust propellor.

I like the idea of a 2 stoke 9.x HP Tohatsu which will weigh nearly 15 kg less, but will like the noise and higher fuel consumption.

(Note that it is not the cost of fuel that is an issue so much as the need to carry more when starting a cruise. If I doubled the fuel cost it would still be relatively little compared to overall running costs.)

As the motor is transom mounted it needs to tilt well and my major gripe with the honda has been that the reverse lock is dismal meaning that stepping into reverse usually causes the motor to kick up.

Please give your reccomendations.

Thanks

John

OK, I give up.

I wanted to edit the original post slightly, but there seems to be no way to do this.

I have read the help files and they tell me that I have options in my profile, but i have been through every tab and no such option is visible.

Help!

I have a  38 ft cat with a 9.8 tohatsu and a 8 hp yamaha , both 2 stroke,   I am changing them for 2 used yamaha 9.9 4 strokes.Less fuel less noise less smoke, smoother running and the 4 stroke noise is much less annoying. The high thrust Yamaha has been the favourite for pushing bigger boats since the 80s with the bigger prop and reduction gearbox. At around 3.5 knots 1 motor on a 35 ft cat in calm conditions can use as little as .8 litre per hour or up to around 2 litre at higher revs. I had 2 pushing a light 46 ft cat at 9 knots.  Maybe  Just service the honda and carry on,  saving 15 kg is not a lot unless you are carrying the motor. you can Fit a line to a cleat to hold the motor down in reverse .

OK, I give up.

I wanted to edit the original post slightly, but there seems to be no way to do this.

I have read the help files and they tell me that I have options in my profile, but i have been through every tab and no such option is visible.

Help!

Editing rights are restricted after 10 mins. As you get promoted through the member system you get more rights and more time. This is to prevent users editing stuff that makes the thread hard to follow, or entering into he said she said crap. Sorry if that is inconvenient.

Editing rights are restricted after 10 mins. As you get promoted through the member system you get more rights and more time. This is to prevent users editing stuff that makes the thread hard to follow, or entering into he said she said crap. Sorry if that is inconvenient.

Hmmm That is why my profile now shows less info than yours!  Good site but does seem big brotherish and secretive. Sorry for the topic diversion: does this mean I get a warning now :)

Nope, and no secrets :-) There are some things you cant discuss on the open forum (like moderation - that has to be done privately) but how the site functions is not one of them,

I recently changed the membership system to try to get rid of the spam - (I still get to see it -Yay! but it virtually all gets deleted before the members see it now) there have been  some unintended consequences, and I'm working on getting rid of them. Ill look at the profile rights - should be the same for all registered members, with a couple of small differences about allowing name changes, posting HTML signatures etc. 

Was there a specific issue re profiles that bothered you?

Nope, and no secrets :-) There are some things you cant discuss on the open forum (like moderation - that has to be done privately) but how the site functions is not one of them,

I recently changed the membership system to try to get rid of the spam - (I still get to see it -Yay! but it virtually all gets deleted before the members see it now) there have been  some unintended consequences, and I'm working on getting rid of them. Ill look at the profile rights - should be the same for all registered members, with a couple of small differences about allowing name changes, posting HTML signatures etc. 

Was there a specific issue re profiles that bothered you?

Nice reply and I accept it as offered :) Keep up the good work Island Time! this is a good site and I like it a lot. Your job is not one that I would like to take up and apologies for making it more stressful (even as a flea).

Only thing that bothers me is that some can see and do and some not: I accept and condone moderators have to be above the main group to maintain the order and structure of the concept: but one shouldn't be classified as untrusted for too long to maintain trust..And as you have stated you are addressing that so I am happy at this stage.. And hope to use and be useful here for a while yet.

Regards,

Mike.

OK

so far 1 very good response to my original question, thank you Ex TL systems for your signal, your input is appreciated. Maybe keeping the 20 year old OB is a good option.

Lots of (noise) about the rules of this forum.

I still dont know why i am too untrustworthy to edit my own posts for typo errors but there it is!

Meantime, my original serious question stands:

Edited and abbreviated: What is the best OB for a Young 780 WB? Opinions please.

Thanks

John