Shoes

O'Niell psycho split toe booties - short ankle - love those things in the summer! Light, grippy, fast drging, can use them, sailing, surfing w/surfing, rock hopping, paddle boarding beach running . . .

If it's warm I prefer bare feet and if not I want to at least attempt to keep warm dry feet so it's sea boots for me at that point.

Not sure that I subscribe to the bare feet = best grip theory. I think a good sole on non-skid gives better grip than bare skin.

If I want something in between I wear Vibram Five Fingers. I use an older version of these, but only because that's what I already had.

https://us.vibram.com/shop/fivefingers/men/outdoor/trek-pro/MTP.html?dwvar_MTP_color=Black%20%2F%20Grey%20%2F%20Red#start=1

There are watersport specific ones as well

https://us.vibram.com/shop/fivefingers/men/watersports/signa---mens/M02.html?dwvar_M02_color=Black%20%2F%20Yellow#start=1

They may look dorky and the feel takes a little getting used to, but I find them great. You can feel the deck almost as well as with bare feet, extra grip from the sole, a little toe stub protection and they dry fast. A sprinkle of foot powder between wears is highly recommended to keep the stink at bay tho.

I wouldn't race on a keel boat in barefeet unless I had no other option. Seen way too many injuries.

Fair call. In reality, my bare feet are generally reserved for deliveries and cruising when the conditions are good, so I didn't really answer the OP. It's usually boots or Five Fingers for me racing.

Bare feet are good on multis, less to hurt yourself on. Some boats require shoes to keep your toes attached! I kicked a metal jammer handle one day, split the webbing between my big toe and next toe. So much blood....

My steel toecap boots from work are non marking soles, ideal for the boat!

I freely admit I'm too soft to go barefeet, so have to wear something, but it depends a lot on what I'm sailing. If itsa trapeezing in sport boats, then i'm after lightweight windsurfing boots, wartm and grippy but not heavy.

Long passages and I'm reaching for the sea boots. Got some good gill ones at burnsco last time they were on sail, very warm and waterproof with good grip but a little heavy

Wednesday night racing on the cat and I've got the deck shoe version of the gill boot. Admitted a little spendy, but so far so good, good grip, very light and comfortable