Vendee Globe 2016

"The question remains as to what O'Coineen will do with his wounded IMOCA 60. One option is to ship it back to Europe alongside Paul Meilhat's SMA, another to refit it and sail it home. He's even had an offer from a Kiwi sailor to buy the boat in its current state. “I haven't made any final decisions yet,” he said. “I'm not in a massive rush – my family don't expect me back for a while! It's tempting to get a mast and try to sail the boat home but that's a huge logistics effort in itself. So I really don't know – the ball is in the air.”"

The book by Moitessier about the first of these races was fantastic - a really good read, and then I saw a movie called 'Deep Water' which was also a pretty good story - if somewhat bizarre.

To be sure that's a very Moitessier like line, and IMO its quite a compliment to view the two of them in the same light. Thoroughly reasonable

comparison too I think.

"The question remains as to what O'Coineen will do with his wounded IMOCA 60. One option is to ship it back to Europe alongside Paul Meilhat's SMA, another to refit it and sail it home. He's even had an offer from a Kiwi sailor to buy the boat in its current state. “I haven't made any final decisions yet,” he said. “I'm not in a massive rush – my family don't expect me back for a while! It's tempting to get a mast and try to sail the boat home but that's a huge logistics effort in itself. So I really don't know – the ball is in the air.”"

apparently on the way to Ak under jury-rig

there to be re-rigged

and back to the plan of being the first irishman to solo circum

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know how many sails Conrad Colman has left? He says he is limited in his choices now.

I know he lost his #1 when the fore-stay let go. He still has a zero I believe. Did he loose a gennaker when his eletrics caught fire and the autopilot crashed?

He's made some comments he's short on heavy air's sails, but I wasn't aware he'd lost any.

Pretty sure he's lost his solent/heavy air jib too.  Think it wasn't that long before the forestay/#1 incident.  And I think from memory they're only able to carry 4 foresails?

So what does that leave?

A #2, and one heavier than a Solent, like a storm jib?

A solent is kind of like a #3 right?

an amazing race - 1st and 2nd still not clear , new distance record for Thompson, trials and triumph all the way down the course.

I watched the video of Cape Horn rounding that Fabrice Amodeo filed today and found myself yelling back at the screen, the emotion in him was infectious.

Look good for le Cleach now though sounds like their is one more tricky high to traverse tomorrow. With 4 hourly updates he should be able to match race and defend his lead.

Two consecutive races and the lead comes down to a matter of hours. This has to be the best yacht race/regatta on the planet!

Unreal. Alex has done a real move overnight. Down to just 42 miles behind. Looks like it will be starboard and slightly lighter all the way as well which will suit him big time. Man, what a race. They may even be in sight coming over the finish line. Incroyable!!

in the update 4 hours prior to the latest they had him at 61nm behind so he's on a flyer as he sails up to le Cleach. Can't wait for the next update.  Might just have to get enthusiastic about work to help pass the time quicker!  le Cleach is still on match point but I reckon he'll be nervous!

Really exciting race to follow. So cool that it's this close at the front, I don't even care who wins, it's just great to have it this interesting to watch!

42 miles isn't much, but the tracker is saying their vmgs are both 7 knots so at this stage Alex is still going to have to pull one out of the hat to get past.