Vendee Globe 2016

From Sailing Anarchy's Mr Clean on the foils

"Short answer: Alex's foils are closer to the surface and develop more lift, therefore they are better in less sea state than the deeper running foils.  In more messy seas, Alex will be ventilating more.  Alex told me when the speeds are right and the angle right, sometimes the whole foil becomes a planing surface rather than a lifting surface.

Here's a crazy bit I learned from designers over drinks last night: The ideal angle of boat heel for the french foilers is an astonishing 35 degrees...Alex's is closer to 25"

Thomson has gybed a few hours ago - looking to hug the coast to keep away from the Azores High.  Perhaps also looking for the flatter water to stay on the plane.  If nothing else he's gonna keep chuckling these little demons at the others.

Wow - gotta say Armal Le Cleach is having a blinder. Only one gybe so far - not sure what Alex Thomson is up to seems to be enjoying the punishment!

...and how about Vincent Riou in the non-foiling PRB who is only 7.9NM behind!

So what I want to know is what sort of routing software these guys are running cause the Frenchmen have done a far better job than the Anglo-Saxon! Just wtf was Coleman upto round the volcano - sightseeing - rock sampling?!? And Thomson should know better by now!

Hugo Boss definitely seems to have had a speed advantage in the drag race over the past 24 hours.

The reliability of all the boats seems to be far better than the previous boats too... now someone will drop their rig just to prove me wrong.

interesting Edmond now second on distance to leader, better vmg, and slightly higher - could we see a leader change or is Hugo gonna gap it  - seems he is heading toward a favourable wind change and a foot on the escalator to the east.

Cool tracker with the ability to 'look' forward in weather terms at least