Marina eWof requirements

Where do you get the one appliance from Wheels? I didn't read that in the standard anywhere.

It won't be mentioned in the Standard smithy. It is not part of the standard. It is simply a Marina rule.

Basically anyone can use an extension cable as long as it complies. You can plug as many items in that you want, providing you do not over load the current carrying ability of the cable. But it is the Marina that stipulates that only one appliance can be plugged in. And it is the Marina that stipulates whether they will allow an extension lead to be used at all. Because the Marinas all get together and discuss these topics, they tend to all have the same requirements and the having only one appliance plugged in was one of them that I know most all the Marinas have taken up. It is possible a Marina somewhere will allow you to plug in more than one appliance, but you would have to ask for their rules to be sure.

It won't be mentioned in the Standard smithy. It is not part of the standard. It is simply a Marina rule.

Basically anyone can use an extension cable as long as it complies. You can plug as many items in that you want, providing you do not over load the current carrying ability of the cable. But it is the Marina that stipulates that only one appliance can be plugged in. And it is the Marina that stipulates whether they will allow an extension lead to be used at all. Because the Marinas all get together and discuss these topics, they tend to all have the same requirements and the having only one appliance plugged in was one of them that I know most all the Marinas have taken up. It is possible a Marina somewhere will allow you to plug in more than one appliance, but you would have to ask for their rules to be sure.

You haven't read the latest from the Marina association that I attached in my original post. You can run your extension lead (suitably tagged) as long as you are on the boat. No mention of just one appliance, but you cannot leave it unattended, and plugged in, without an Ewof.. Check out the pdf I attached. Here it is again..

Shore_Power.pdf

I have been wondering when this would happen in Auckland, it's been the norm in Picton for a few years (not sure to be happy or sad we finally had something first....). It's almost 2 seperate rules at once. The EWOF was here was originally to say your boat is safe to plug into the national grid, and was issued by the local lines company, or 230v sparky with an additional inspectors ticket. They test correct polarity, breakers, correct rated cable and inlets and outs les etc. was all fairly straight forward. Only really saw shitters or imports that had badly adapted 110v systems in them fail. Along comes NZS3004. Forced on commercial vessels by MOSS. Written (or at least influenced) as I understand by one or both of the 2 people in the country who can approve survey boat electrical diagrams. The South Island based guy says the EWOF inspector should be checking everything in 3004, including the DC system, battery enclosures, alternator install, wiring sizes blah blah blah, or he isnt doing his job. The local 230v sparky inspector says he wants nothing to do with the 12v stuff, knows nothing about it, has no qualifications in it, and has continued issuing Ewof's as he used to.

3004 (I have read it several times) is a box full of cans of worms. It's not only $150 to get, add in the standards it references, and the definitions etc and its way more. Then read the rules in it: you can't print more than 10% of the standards you own, only own 3004? can't print it. Do print it, must destroy it after 7 days. There's more...

Then, 3004 outlaws all kinds of silly things - if the 230v system uses a black sheathed neutal, no DC wire may be black - good luck with that. Also, the standard 1mm, 2 mm and 5mm twin marine tinned wires in white sheath that replaced 'figure 8' wire - likely in every one here's boat - no good. Want to comply with 3004? Rip it all out. Replace it with one with the right markings, that's also rated for 1000 volts ( same as 230v cable), and is about 4 times the diameter for the same size wire.

Not yet sure how I'll get it through the next mast I re-wire -

'oh did you want halyards AND wires in the mast? Not under 3004 buddy'

Interesting, they have told one boat here who wants to go into survey, he must remove the white sheathed wire, but can keep the figure 8 wire!?!?

I can go on with more of how it works out here, but I advise not to get me started.

On the whole, at the moment, boat owners here are not really aware of 3004, most don't believe me if I tell them, as the inspector is using a different rule, nothing has really changed due to 3004 as long as your not in MOSS, you can have an EWOF. A fair few boats have an orange builders box screwed in, with the cord hard wired into it, or with it cut and an inlet fitted so the cord can be taken away, and they have Wof's.

• Upvote 2

One other thing, the preface if 3004 says something like: most boats (or most boats 3004 will apply to) will be 3 phase 230v alloy boats and may have FC systems.

I can check wordings if anyone cares.

of course, another rule of owning a standard is no distributing, sharing what ever, punishable by death. It's nice they make the rules easy to access therefore abide by....

You haven't read the latest from the Marina association that I attached in my original post. You can run your extension lead (suitably tagged) as long as you are on the boat. No mention of just one appliance, but you cannot leave it unattended, and plugged in, without an Ewof..

The new rule of unplugging it when you are not there is their(the Marina) rule smithy. It is not a legal rule under 3004. It came about due to their own interpretation of the law. Originally when 3004 first came in, you could have an extension cord connected to a battery charger and that was considered as a Non installed system and thus no eWOF needed. Now they are interpreting it differently and that the use of an extension lead is temporary only and must be removed when you leave the boat.

I also see that there is an updated standard now. 3004:1-2 2014. I have not read that to see what is included.

IT, I have one of the original 3004:1/2 2008 copies when they were free, so I imagine I should be allowed to copy it.

mattm, if he is the same inspector I had way back when this all first came in, he was useless. He was working in behalf of some wellington electrical crowd. I had to tell him about Marine systems and Earthing. This will be why he is not happy to look at the DC system, because he will be totally out of his depth. Personally, I think this is a possible can of worms, because if a fault burns a boat to the waterline, who is at fault if the Insurance company comes knocking. The Boat owner or the Inspector.

Wheels, that pdf is from the marina operators assn, so will presumably be adopted NZ wide. Not just Westhaven. It also talks about "legal and illegal" at the beginning. I wonder if this is the driver and where this has all come from? It really is bullshit and I'm not a happy camper.

Ok, I bought and read the whole standard.

Nowhere does it say you have to have a EWOF before you can plug in, but it DOES say you have to be up to the standard.  Foreign certs with equivalence are acceptable. There are also exemptions :

1.1.1 This Standard is not intended to apply to small boats equipped with a battery supplying circuits for engine starting and navigation lighting only that is recharged from an inboard or outboard engine driven alternator.;

and appendix C10, shorepower:

NOTE: For vessels built before the publication date of this Standard, refer to
AS/NZS 3004.2:2008.

So, of further interest is that only vessels with an AC ground (Installed AC System) are eligible for an EWOF. 

There is no mention in the standard of Temporary connections - all it says is;

4.2.1 An RCD will provide a substantial degree of personnel protection in most circumstances in locations where the risk of accidental contact is increased. On boats with relatively small single-phase a.c. electrical installations powered intermittently from a shore supply, a single
RCD protecting the whole of the boat’s a.c. system is commonly fitted.

An Ebox does that.

It seems to me that the Marina companies are taking the easy way out - by requiring an ewof they don’t have to  keep up to date on which certs are the equivalent, and there is nothing difficult to teach their staff.

However, it means that no foreign  boats can connect, and neither can any NZ vessel that has no fitted AC distribution system.

Smithy, I agree with your statement about the ebox (Waterpoof box with RCD and 10a Socket with Circ Breaker)

My interpretation from reading the regs is that this is not an installed system, and is not eleigible for an EWOF.

The Ebox is what I have. What I'd like to know is what is the MINIMUM install required to be eligible for an EWOF....perhaps an Ebox screwed to the bulkhead, with the earth connected to the keel via a galvanic isolator?

I have been wondering when this would happen in Auckland, it's been the norm in Picton for a few years (not sure to be happy or sad we finally had something first....). It's almost 2 seperate rules at once. The EWOF was here was originally to say your boat is safe to plug into the national grid, and was issued by the local lines company, or 230v sparky with an additional inspectors ticket. They test correct polarity, breakers, correct rated cable and inlets and outs les etc. was all fairly straight forward. Only really saw shitters or imports that had badly adapted 110v systems in them fail. Along comes NZS3004. Forced on commercial vessels by MOSS. Written (or at least influenced) as I understand by one or both of the 2 people in the country who can approve survey boat electrical diagrams. The South Island based guy says the EWOF inspector should be checking everything in 3004, including the DC system, battery enclosures, alternator install, wiring sizes blah blah blah, or he isnt doing his job. The local 230v sparky inspector says he wants nothing to do with the 12v stuff, knows nothing about it, has no qualifications in it, and has continued issuing Ewof's as he used to.

3004 (I have read it several times) is a box full of cans of worms. It's not only $150 to get, add in the standards it references, and the definitions etc and its way more. Then read the rules in it: you can't print more than 10% of the standards you own, only own 3004? can't print it. Do print it, must destroy it after 7 days. There's more...

Then, 3004 outlaws all kinds of silly things - if the 230v system uses a black sheathed neutal, no DC wire may be black - good luck with that. Also, the standard 1mm, 2 mm and 5mm twin marine tinned wires in white sheath that replaced 'figure 8' wire - likely in every one here's boat - no good. Want to comply with 3004? Rip it all out. Replace it with one with the right markings, that's also rated for 1000 volts ( same as 230v cable), and is about 4 times the diameter for the same size wire.

Not yet sure how I'll get it through the next mast I re-wire -

'oh did you want halyards AND wires in the mast? Not under 3004 buddy'

Interesting, they have told one boat here who wants to go into survey, he must remove the white sheathed wire, but can keep the figure 8 wire!?!?

I can go on with more of how it works out here, but I advise not to get me started.

On the whole, at the moment, boat owners here are not really aware of 3004, most don't believe me if I tell them, as the inspector is using a different rule, nothing has really changed due to 3004 as long as your not in MOSS, you can have an EWOF. A fair few boats have an orange builders box screwed in, with the cord hard wired into it, or with it cut and an inlet fitted so the cord can be taken away, and they have Wof's.

Jeeze. It's even worse than I thought. That's a horror show.  I wonder how they would deal with the ship I am on. No connection between the genset neutrals and earth AT ALL. For good reason too!

Wheels-it won't be the same inspector. This guy hasn't been an inspector that long.

What inspector do you expect to know about DC? The Marlborough lines inspector (at the end of the day the EWOF was to say your 230v system is OK to plug into the grid) wouldn't know about it either.

These guys inspect new houses to certify they are safe to connect to the grid. They are 230v electricians with additional training to make them inspectors. They require no training or qualifications in 12 or 24v DC systems at all to become an EWOF inspector. that's why they want nothing to do with it. It was never the pint of a EWOF. The people pushing 3004 are trying to force this on the inspectors, who want nothing to do with it, maybe, because as you say, they may be liable if it goes wrong, and they don't know what they are looking at.

Ok, I bought and read the whole standard. Nowhere does it say you have to have a EWOF before you can plug in, but it DOES say you have to be up to the standard. An equivalent foreign cert is sufficient.

It seems to me that the Marina companies are taking the easy way out - by requiring an ewof they don’t have to  keep up to date on which certs are the equivalent, and there is nothing difficult to teach their staff. However, it means that no foreign  boats can connect, and neither can any NZ vessel that has no fitted AC distribution system.

Smithy, I agree with your statement about the ebox (Waterpoof box with RCD and 10a Socket with Circ Breaker) My interpretation from reading the regs is that this is not an installed system, and is not eleigible for an EWOF.

The Ebox is what I have. What I'd like to know is what is the MINIMUM install required to be eligible for an EWOF....perhaps an Ebox screwed to the bulkhead, with the earth connected to the keel via a galvanic isolator?

IT, that was the way I was thinking of going, but if you look at the standard and the checklist at the end, they want to go over the entire DC system as well. I would be happy to get my ebox certified.. Not really happy about the galvanic isolator. I would rather my hull is not earthed, and rely on the protection offered by TWO RCDs in series.. The trouble with this document is that it is very rigid where it doesn't need to be. Flexibility is required. I have some reading to do when I get home!!

No, as soon as your screw/fix  anything, it is a fixed installation. In the eyes of the Marinas that is.

We had many of these arguments of interpretation way back when it all first came in. Port Marl has big pockets and went back and forth between the lawyers getting interpretation. Of course, that does not 100% mean the interpretation was as the Regs intended to be read, but it is how it has been read by the Lawyers and thus the standing of PortM. We all had massive arguments and in the end, Port M had special leads made up that were deemed as what was required if you wanted an extension cable to plug just a battery charger into, It cost an arm and a leg and everyone complained it was PM ripping them off again. Believe me, if they are now saying it cannot be used, then some people here are going to be mighty unhappy.

For me, it all became far too stupid and I decided to disconnect and rely on my genset.Then when the Marina went

stupid expensive, we left for a swing mooring. Then I bought Solar panels and a Wind genny and remain self sufficient.

I wonder how they would deal with the ship I am on. No connection between the genset neutrals and earth AT ALL. For good reason too!

Ships have their own regs because of just that smithy. The 3004 applies to Vessels upto 50M. Although there is provision for commercial vessels under 50m if specially wired in the likes of your work vessel. 

I would rather my hull is not earthed, and rely on the protection offered by TWO RCDs in series..

And there in regards to RCD's was yet another silly situation. For the Marinas here, we had a power box at the head of each jetty. That had a main RCD device with a 60mA trip feature. Then at each box on each finger, was another RCD with a 30mA trip. Then under 3004, they wanted each boat to also have a 30mA RCD. Three RCD's is silly. besides, f you tripped the one on the boat, the one on the finger would trip also.

The reason you need an RCD on the boat is they are giving the boat an EWOF, the boat can move, you may go to any old place without an RCD on the supply and plug in, with one on your boat. Your boat may not even live in the marina, just be there for an inspection, maybe it lives on a shitty old wharf at a batch without an RCD, with one on your boat, your still safe! Don't get so upset about RCD's, they are a tiny part of the issue, and one that ACTUALLY makes YOU safe, not like much of the rest of it. Port M require you to have a current EWOF sticker. They care nothing of what's in the boat - port Marlborough employees won't be asking to check your wiring, just to see your sticker.

The box port m sold were legal at the time. The boat standard was the same one as caravans back then. Not really their fault if the standards change.

The Wof inspectors here seem to be still inspecting under the same rules, which means boats with the boxes, or other systems without bonding plates are still getting a sticker, and can still plug in.

My thoughts are keep your head down, call a 230v sparky, have shore power installed if needed - as they always have, get an EWOF inspector in, get a sticker and let someone else fight the fight. The ones who come to mind are the people pushing 3004 and the people issuing EWOF's, they would be good groups to sort this out at not the boat owners expense.

Has someone in Auckland tried with the small box, with an RCD in it, screwed to the boat? Has been passed here for years, haven't heard anyone saying it hasn't now.

Bazza, make sure you use the anode attached to the engine, after that system went in she was burning through the anodes on the shaft.

Smithy, the system on Bazzas boat was put in by Gavin at Marine Electrics....I went down this path as I believe in doing it once only and after listening to Gavin, I figured that they were going to force the max system on people eventually, so thats what I put in....but thats not to say I didnt find it a complete pain in the arse having the lead attached to the boat though.

• Upvote 2

Steve, as I mentioned previously an Isolation transformer is the best way to go, but this is for a fixed installation and you still need RCD's. I have one RCD between the inlet and the primary AC switchboard, then because I have an inverter there has to be another RCD on the outlet side of the inverter.

IT commented about AS 3004 not mentioning EWOF's, these are covered in the NZ Electrical Safety Regulations 2010, see clauses 76,77 & 78

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2010/0036/latest/DLM2763501.html

these seem to be a bit of a moving target with amendments every couple of years

I see Bryan Leyland is on the Westhaven Marina Users Association.  I think I am still a member and if not will join again.  It would be interesting to get Bryan's view on this as an electrical engineer.  I will see if I can make contact.