Marina eWof requirements

Yep, even though I used to blow the odd thing up, cover the ceiling in molten Galv, or produce large quantities of smoke, I at least did it with safety in mind. For instance, if KM and I were putting some shackle under 12tonnes of destructive load, we would stand just that little bit further back from the Test Bed and sometimes made sure something or someone else was standing between us and it. ;-)

• Upvote 2

We are a 1% country who thinks we can lounge the good life when those days have come and gone. Too much 'entitled' and not enough just get the f*ck on with it and do it... right through everything from the PM's office to the burger packers at Maccas.

I was watching Anthony Bourdain's 'Parts Unknown' last night when he was in Nigeria. It's worth a watch as it shows the path we are on, it shows out future unless things change. There the political system is corrupt yet the assorted descriptions of it do mirror ours, sh*t loads of marginally accountable people doing what they need to to keep power. Due to that the people pretty much ignore them and carry on. The theme right through from Nigerians at wealthy end of the spectrum (In Lagos alone there are over 9000 millionaires and billionaires) to the people living in a shanty town in sticks over a bay was 'You are what you make yourself, Do not rely on anyone else', that is a nation wide mantra. All the dudes/dudesses he spoke to said the average Nigerian was extremely productive but that won't be born in official Stats as the majority were outside the official system. It was a very interesting watch and no stretch at all to see NZ in that same place in the not too distant future as what we have now is not sustainable.

• Upvote 1

Stop generalising as the majority of owners need their people and take a lot of effort to look after their people and they have done that a lot long than the laws saying they must have existed. Making dumbarse statements like the above is no different than BP and AJ calling anyone not extreme lefties Nazis, f**king stupid, counter-productive and does the exact opposite of what they they are trying to achieve or say they are trying too. I spend a mother load more coin and time making sure my team are as safe as practicable than I do on my own kids. I would not be unusual in doing that.

Clearly what I wrote was poorly worded.  It was not my intention to malign the companies owners nor to imply they didn't care about keeping/protecting employees.  I know from experience retaining a trained quality employee is ALWAYS cheaper and better than trying to replace them -No matter what the cause for their leaving.  It doesn't ever help an employer (or the bottom line) to have machinery broken due to improper use, to have staff numbers down due to stupid mistakes, to make people not want to come to work because conditions make them uncomfortable/scared.

My intention was to suggest that for the employee it has much less effect on their pay check if they do something silly/stupid.  Labour practices make it harder to fire them and if they do injure themselves then ACC picks up much of the cost in immediate and long-term care.  From the employer side any increase in ACC levy is a lot smaller than loosing an insurance discount or having a policy dropped (remember in US no policy providing coverage to your employees/removing liability for accidents from the work-site owner = no work).  I would like to be proven wrong but I have not heard of an employer being shut down because their ACC claim rate is too high.  What I do see is huge added costs and added staff numbers that must be hurting productivity per employee despite no proven correlation to improved outcome.

All good rjp and you are quite right. We have developed a culture where it's easy to push the blame onto someone else rather than place it where it actually belongs. Even worse is that culture we now seem to has relies on laying blame somewhere be it someone or something...... which then leads to some one, the fact 'sh*t just happens' seems to be totally ignored.

With that sort of 'entitlement' and 'someone MUST be found at fault' it's no wonder people are spending the day being dumber than they actually are. There is little incentive, bar that which is built into many people, do go hard and do the right thing as they know they are pretty well protected.

As much as some won't agree but then most of those aren't in a position to even know, this current Government has cracked down a lot on wayward employers and companies. I am far more responsible, liable and likely to be pinged for being naughty than ever before. It is quite scary the things I can be pinged for that I have little power over or are simply out of my control. That applies both with the team and with the books. There are also a gazillion, there abouts ;),  things I am responsible for I have absolutely no idea even exist. The laws are made for the w^$@r employers and often they are needed, just like Unions are made for the w^$@r employers not the normal ones, which are the vast majority. But unfortunately those laws catch all the people doing the right thing, or trying hard to do so, as well and it's often them who get fecked over by a bureaucrat looking for a result anyway they can.

It's all a cluster that can only end badly but unfortunately we have to work thru the dross and wankery on the way to hitting that wall.

My mini rant was more against the trend to tribalise everything and further encourage this Us verse Them mentality that is getting out of hand and with nasty results. It's happening everywhere and while it is great for the powers that be but it's causing sh*t that doesn't need to happen and some of that sh*t has been literally fatal.

• Upvote 1

Can I add into this mix, the close ugly cousin of H&S, Resource Consent.
Well actually, not so much the RMA itself, but the silly expensive costs incurred trying to get a consent for something. The ability  of the Public to object when the objections are more about snobby attitude than a realistic concern. For instance, someone buys a property near an Airport and then complains about the aircraft noise(happening in Palmerston North area with RNZAF Ohakea) People Building a Home near a Landfill site and then complain about the activities carried out there(which is happening in Blenheim right now). It is just plain ridiculous.

We often wonder what people are running in some boats with the size of the lead running into them.

We are of the mind one boat in a marina with a huge lead running into it could be a growing operation. It also looks unusually closed up. Could be wrong but done carefully it could be a cunning plan.

Plus, don't get fooled. There are dehumidifiers that are little more than a Fan and a container of material called "Damp Rid". It absorbs moisture from the air...poorly... and a Fan. That's it. A real dehumidifier uses a compressor fridge unit and the water is condensed out on the condenser plate and then the drier air passes through to the evaporator where it is heated again and enters the room dry and warm. They draw the same as a small fridge.

Actually KM, that makes it impossible on most vessels. 250w 24x7.i reckon you'd need 1000w of panels min to run just that...

Most run about 30% of the time and if the boat is reasonably well sealed it could be a lot less. But then if you have a weepy gland, bolt or window then you'd probably be a bit buggered.