Friday Race

shanson

I found that Americascup.com was the best. Was slightly behind the oracle website (same feed) but the 'medium res' stream on the ac site was better. Found I didn't really need to watch the hi-res stream - and when I did it really burnt through data

11:56

So the postponement is signalled on cue. SI 5.7 states After a long postponement, to alert boats that a race will begin soon, the Race Committee will advise both boats by safety radio approximately 15 minutes before a Warning Signal is displayed. Mark 1 is being moved.

13:14

So still looking pretty good with the wind at 180° blowing 6.5 knots at Committe boat and 195° and 5 knots at the WW1 mark. Breeze is reported to by quite puffy at the moment, with some variation in pressure across the course. But that is pretty inevitable given that the windward leg will of course be 20 miles. Alinghi unrolling a light no 1 jib. BMW Oracle still no jib yet.

13:19

Alinghi accelerate immediately to 17 to 18 knots in five knots of wind, flying a hull and this is them just warming up. Breeze seems stable in terms of direction all the way down the course, around, most recently 3,5 knots at 165°at the WW1 mark and 190 ° 6 knots at the Committee Boat.

13:22

USA just keeping their powder dry meantime, maybe Alinghi pressing the impetus to go racing, showing the conditions look good but race officer Harold Bennett just biding his time, waiting for the conditions to improve a little more. USA sitting almost stationery.

13:27

Breeze is quite puffy where Alinghi 5 are going through their paces, making 17 knots, flying their hull high for a few seconds before settling, pretty spectacular.

13:29

Just ten degrees of difference between the wind direction at the WW1 mark and the start line, 180° 6,5 knots at the cttee boat, and 190° 6 knots at WW 1 windward mark, which is pretty favourable. Seas are flatt-ish.

Archived