Friday Race

shanson

15:35

Around six miles to the windward mark, one hour and two minutes into the whole 40 miles race. BMW ORACLE Racing leading by something like 1260 metres.

15:41

The question is when Alinghi will do their penalty, they must do a gybe if they are going upwind or a tack if they are going downwind. Breeze has picked up to around 10 knots at the windward mark. USA are setting up their giant gennaker for the downwind leg.

As if anyone sitting up watching sailing at 3.30am wouldn't know what a layline is!

yeh I hate that too - it's not like rugby or cricket commenators dumb down their speak

It's not like it's 3.30 am everywhere... I'm sure there's alot of office people that no nothin about yachting.

As if anyone sitting up watching sailing at 3.30am wouldn't know what a layline is!

yeh I hate that too - it's not like rugby or cricket commenators dumb down their speak

It's not like it's 3.30 am everywhere... I'm sure there's alot of office people that no nothin about yachting.

well, yeah,

i'm in Switzerland and it's almost impossible to get anyone interested here....

as a result i'm kinda attracting unwanted attention from the boss as to why i'm watching a live video stream and not doing experiments.....

15:46

So downwind there is very little difference between the apparent wind angle generated to that upwind, only five or six degrees. Breeze has dropped a little for both as they approach the port lay line. The wind is between 160 degrees at 10 knots at the windward mark.

You'd think after AL playing on Lake Leman for so long they'd all be glued to it, If there was one of these playing on the Hauraki I reakon you'd have heaps of followers...

15:50

Still Ernesto Bertarelli steering Alinghi, just getting a little marginal to keep the weather hull flying on Alinghi. USA have unrolled an upwind headsail to apply a little more power, anticipating the softening of the breeze as they approach the windward mark.

15:55

USA now approaching the port tack layline, an hour and 21 minutes after the start, their speed dropping to 6.5 knots as they tack. Speed building on port tack now. Alinghi still to tack. Will they take their penalty before the turn, or hang on?

Starting to come together a bit... So one of the reasons HB didn't start on wed was he was concerned about not being able to keep the com boats on station in a seaway- water depth is 1000m

15:58

Alinghi tacking now on to port for their approach to mark 1, navigator Juan Vila (ESP) calling the time to the top mark to helm Bertarelli, tactician Brad Butterworth, strategist Murray Jones, all, of course, America's Cup winners. Bow and mast crew are preparing the downwind headsail, as they are on USA. Advantage to USA about 1400 metres or so.

16:04

And at an hour and a half after the start USA bear away at the windward mark first, unrolling their huge downwind headsail, breeze is about seven knots.

16:06

Wind looks a little lighter but Alinghi marginal for flying a hull on approach to the turning mark, they go around 3 minutes 21 seconds - we believe - behind USA

16:13

And USA peak speed there is around 25 knots as they spear deeper and faster 'downind' than Alinghi in a puff, and as soon as they get their bow lower and sail faster than Alinghi for any length of time then their gains multiply. Now over 2000 metres of lead to USA. Big changes in course as the apparent wind builds and the leader powers up, Jimmy Spithill USA helmsman bringing the bow down and sailing deep and fast. Alinghi pressing well too.

Archived