Friday Race

shanson

Anyone know if there is a video on the net of the race? Had to be at work at 6am this morning so couldn't stay up for the race... Sounds awesome tho!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

just trolling around for the press conference and noticed that they are replaying the start as I write on ammericascup.com (LIVE COVERAGE) . I guess just tune into it to see how much they show

Wheels,

this morning oracle had it all over alinghi in all points of sail.

Both Up and down wind.

Rockfield, that part of the start was one of those oh s&*t moments accompanied by a sort of puckering feeling.

Thanks Col. That is so awesome. I hope they deliver Berterelli's Head on a silver platter..... Wait.....that was a different time and place wasn't it :wink: :D

I bet Berterelli has a headache this morning, and it won't be from a hangover after a celebration party. :lol:

Awesome race, never thought i would be happy to see the possibility of the AC going back to the USA, can't see Larry being to enthused about giving Valencia another shot at hosting it, picking he spent a few thousand K chartering spectator/sponsors boats who were then told by Valencia port officials they couldn't go more than 6 miles from shore to watch racing...not sure if this was resolved in the end..Rising Sun was out there last night.

Of course , there is the possibilty we will see the AC stay in the US for another 100 years as the yanks replay history by employing lawyers to keep all chance of a fair race ever happening again.

Gotta say the commentary from PJ and the yank got a little dull last night..a lot of clutching at straws with stocking filler conversation used to fill in blanks between the long periods when there was really not much to say.

Had to laugh at the sheer lack of education from the yank commentating..not sure of his name but I could not believe his comment halfway up the first leg when he talked about the indiginous polynesian people in Australia -Bondi beach..of a thousand places in the south pacific he picks a country with no indiginous polynesians...

And then not 20 minutes later when asked by PJ why he calls the floats Ama's, the yank replies the "polynesians in India have been sailing multis for thousands of years and this is their term for the float hulls.

Looks like the AC and BMW website have the race on replay loop through the next 12 hours, found the AC site on low res and interfaced with the big screen was not a sharp image but good enough, to much buffering going on with the BMW live feed..but then my 3g signal is very weak out this way.

wheels, upwing Oracle seemed to achieve that magical advantage of both pointing higher (by 3-4 degrees) AND going faster, anything up to 2kts (~10%). And even more amazingly, this was after they had dropped their headsail and were sailing (flying 2 hulls consistently) under wing mainsail only! A complete eye-opener.... they appeared to be defying all the traditional laws of sailing physics.

Squid - I agree that it's generally better to go for a sail yourself than watch someone else sailing - but in this case you were wrong. We can go sailing anytime but we can't watch the 'rules' of sailing being rewritten live in front of our eyes!

What I want to know is where to from here? Regardless of who wins (although I bet few people here would be prepared to bet against Oracle right now). Surely the AC can't go back to those boring old lead swingers after putting on a display like this?

THis could be the best thing that ever happened to the AC - given it a complete makeover and reignited that excitement of watching it again. You even get the thrill of traditional match-racing starts which nobody predicted. And then they go off like scalded cats (or tris).

Fantastic viewing. Count me in for Sunday.

Pretty much what AC said except as a supposed 'match race' it was crap, actually it just wasn't a race except in name, as it panned out. That can't continue no matter what boats are used or no one will watch bar enthusiasts. The AC is supposed to be a match race after all.

Maybe Sundays race may change my mind on that, we'll see.

As a spectacle the race was a yawn as i said earlier.

What dropped my jaw was Oracle BMW dropping the gyb and going even faster under wing alone. Amazing!

Alinghi will be hoping something breaks on the tri.

I bet Grant Simmer is pulling an all nighter with the design team to come up with a 10% speed gain.

I wonder if we will see ernesto on the handlebars for the next race?

Anyone know why Oracle needs to put up a jib if they are sailing faster and higher without it. Wont the jib load the rig more when it is up.Also interesting that the put the jib up nearing the top mark when the wind speed was higher. Were they toying with Alinghi?.They also allowed a 500m lead whittle down to 150 then accelerated again without doing anything obvious. Or was the reason to put some bad wind on Allinghi.It seemed also that Oracle knew what their boat was capable of as shown at start. After labouring through the prestart they just turned the afterburners on at start and caught the druglord completely by surprise. He was so rattled he tacked instead of gybing and going around Oracle.What an awesome mind boggling first race.Hoping for a repeat in second race and then sanity can prevailed so we return to traditional monohull racing.

Squid - I agree that it's generally better to go for a sail yourself than watch someone else sailing - but in this case you were wrong. We can go sailing anytime but we can't watch the 'rules' of sailing being rewritten live in front of our eyes!

I used to be able to, now I take it when I can get it.

Interesting quote from EB...

(from americascup.com)

Ernesto Bertarelli (SUI), helmsman and team president Alinghi (SUI):

"I have absolutely no regrets and no frustration. Actually I quite enjoyed myself on the water today. It’s racing, you win, you lose that is part of the game. We gave everything we have got over the last two and a half years. So there there is nothing to be frustrated about or ashamed about. Again, the Cup is not over. We still have one race to go. They have to cross the line, finish the race and score two points."

Sounds pretty defeatist to me, I thought it was best of three! :D

SHANE

Saw a vid of AL docking after the race. Looking at the crowd ya hooing and Berties beaming smile one would have thought they just didn't get shown to be in deep sh*t. Weird. Brad and one or 2 of the lads weren't so enthusiastic though, looked 98% convinced they weren't going home with silverware.

The more I see the more I think AL knew they weren't going to walk away with it and very well maybe about only as good as they showed last nite. Just a few things and comments over the last few weeks has had me thinking.

Shame really. Even if you are a total dickhead, to put up that coin to get a beast like that and still get an right royal old school arse kicking.

Got to give Bertie big ups for driving his own boat. Shame Lazza doesn't drive his, that would be a nice side attraction to add some interest.

The more I see the more I think AL knew they weren't going to walk away with it and very well maybe about only as good as they showed last nite. Just a few things and comments over the last few weeks has had me thinking.

yea

There's been a few similar comments going around the past few weeks.

Cheers

SHANE

Archived