Kaikoura Wharf.

Guest shane

Hey I'm looking for as much information as possible on the kaikoura wharf Marina. Is it still possible to berth there. I know the Marina now dries out At low Tide boats sit on. The bottom.

There is no Public Marina. It is a very small area that was created for a couple of commercial vessels and the Whale Watch boats. At low tide, the boats sit on the bottom and there is no access through the very narrow channel. At high tide, only very shallow draft vessels can make it in and out. No Keel boat would ever get in, but there are no public berths to use anyway.
Also, it is not the Kaikoura Wharf. The Marina is on the South Side (South Bay) of the Peninsula. The Kaikoura Wharf is different again and is on the North side of the Pen and to the East of the Town.
   Another warning is that the Bay area on the North side is strewn with rocks and care was always required before the Earthquake. Now after the Quake, the bottom has lifted over a metre and going in there with out local knowledge would be almost suicide. The South Bay side is not so bad, but a lot of caution will still be required. It offers good shelter from North Easterly through to Northerlies and all the way around to West. The north side offers good shelter from Southerlies.
Soth Bay

Most do sail it in one go shane. Because Kaikoura is not a place to give you long term shelter. It's about a 24hr run. So you pick a weather window. Heading to Picton/Welly, you try to tag onto a dying Southerly or a southerly of not too much clout. Try not to be in Cook strait in a strong westerly and heading to Tory, keep out off the East Coast especially where the land starts to stick out again toward Cape Campbell. The wind can howl off that area.
Heading down is a little trickier to get the best wind, because it changes so much along the coast, but Nor norwest is best be3t. It tends to bend Easterly as you reach the canterbury bight.

I fail to understand why anyone is discussing anything with this guy?

I am sorry- but all i see here is a disaster and potential loss of life in the planning.

I know you all mean well, and your advice is meant well but...

You are not stopping a person who...

Has poor wnd limited sailing experience.

Knows little or nothing about offshore sailing.especially on a coast that is not kind to the ill informed, prepared and equipped.

Knows little of who his crew is and? What his ability is.

Has a history of getting lost in the coromandel.( His sum total sailin experience)

Has know idea of a jib from a mainsail ( all stated in his posts)

You are however...

.setting this guy up for a fall by not " categorically dismissing his actions and plans" as downright foolish.

You are liable to be involved in any investigation when it " turns to custard" and the police are involved and look into his communications and investigate where he sort advice.

I would strongly discourage this fool hardy person at every opportunity and not give him any heads up or advice ( either way)that might lead him to continue on his foolhardy plans.

I know this will be deemed as a post that breaks the bizzare rules of this site!.... but at least my mind will be clear of guilt.

The moderator should warn this guy to seek advice from MNZ, Coastgaurd and the police and thus remove this site and its members of any liability or guilt if this guy dies in transit... then lock his account.

This guy and this voyage are as dodgy as it gets. Ihope i am wrong but...

• Downvote 2

You have a lot to say for a newbie. why don't you tell us a little about yourself?

Have you been here before?

• Upvote 1

Because he is going to do it anyway, just as he has done. Giving some advice may help him. And besides, the East coast of the South Island is not that bad. It's not as if he is trying to get around Est Cape or into Fiordland. In fact just trying to get out of Lyttleton Harbour is going to teach him how to sail into the wind, or he will have to motor out. He's not afraid of ruff seas and that is usually what gets most.

You are liable to be involved in any investigation when it " turns to custard" and the police are involved and look into his communications and investigate where he sort advice.

Absolute bollocks.

NZL1 sounds like someone who's stirring the pot.  I've seen his boat and he simply could do with us all helping the dude rather than putting up barriers.  It's a nice little vessel, with some help (and there are a lot of guys in the Port helping him) he'll get there.  Just a rather busy time of the year to get help. 

Anyone else want to actually put some practicle help in rather than be arm chair admirals?

Shane how is progress on the engine?

• Upvote 3

NZL1 sounds like someone who's stirring the pot.  I've seen his boat and he simply could do with us all helping the dude rather than putting up barriers.  It's a nice little vessel, with some help (and there are a lot of guys in the Port helping him) he'll get there.  Just a rather busy time of the year to get help. 

Anyone else want to actually put some practicle help in rather than be arm chair admirals?

Shane how is progress on the engine?

what has he brought?wish him well though,everything is possible if one takes their time.

So southermam a wheels are giving him the thumbs up.

Cross your fingers he makes it!

I am all for people giving these thing a go. But this guy need more experience and a better understanding of wht he is doing.

For you guys to back him wih so few facts and info...

Well yime will tell.

And i am not stirring it up. Just putting some balance into this situation.

• Downvote 1

Because he is going to do it anyway, just as he has done. Giving some advice may help him. And besides, the East coast of the South Island is not that bad. It's not as if he is trying to get around Est Cape or into Fiordland. In fact just trying to get out of Lyttleton Harbour is going to teach him how to sail into the wind, or he will have to motor out. He's not afraid of ruff seas and that is usually what gets most.

Absolute bollocks.

Are you a lawyer wheels?

That coast can be bad when you approach cook straight in a stinking NW'r and a big southery blow... which are still happening his late in the year.

Absolute bollocks.

Are you a lawyer wheels?

That coast can be bad when you approach cook straight in a stinking NW'r or a big southery blow... which are still happening his late in the year.

• Downvote 1

Thats true but times have changed. We have over zealous rule makers and maritime people who will be all over this if its a disaster.

And the first thing that will change will be the rules that govern all yachties that sail offshore!... then the costs will make our everydaysailing more difficult, regulated and costly!

Its people like this that create new dumb rules and downstream costs.... which taint our sport and make it harder for people to get involved.

All he has to do is work with the authorities, do it right, and enjoy the adventure. The fact that he is asking questions here tells anyone with half a brain that he is disorganised.

The fact he has alienated local at the marina in ChCH and Thames just backs up my thoughts.

I hope i am wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thats true but times have changed. We have over zealous rule makers and maritime people who will be all over this if its a disaster.

And the first thing that will change will be the rules that govern all yachties that sail offshore!... then the costs will make our everydaysailing more difficult, regulated and costly!

Its people like this that create new dumb rules and downstream costs.... which taint our sport and make it harder for people to get involved.

All he has to do is work with the authorities, do it right, and enjoy the adventure. The fact that he is asking questions here tells anyone with half a brain that he is disorganised.

The fact he has alienated local at the marina in ChCH and Thames just backs up my thoughts.

I hope i am wrong.

So what do you sail?

The main point with Shane is that he has a learning disability. So he struggles to explain himself well on a forum. But then, he is not the only one.
I am not too worried about hm taking on this journey to the sounds. It's not that far and it's not too difficult. He could well get in more trouble inside the Harbour in a Southerly than along that piece of coast. It will be a great learning experience for him. There have been far worse out there making mistakes in their early days. Me included. But you learn real quick. And as our experience has increased, I can now look back at the trips that once scared the proverbial out of me at the time and now thonk hey I can do that with ease now. Sailing is certainly a sport where there is no better way to understand the experience than to experience it.
I do think he would learn faster and better if someone with experience could go with him, but he has who he has. He is keen and we certainly more young people these days, that are keen.

• Upvote 1