Kaikoura Wharf.

Guest shane

I'll put it out there NZL1 if you have the balls, I'll pay for your flight (within NZ) to meet shane and you two can have a joisting match.  That way it's fair and we actually get to see you are not an arm chair admiral with heaps of google experience!  Honestly post a photo, prove you are not just some sort of ghost who likes sailing! 

Obviously still on the Gin this morning?  You need to go meet Trump and he can introduce you to midnight twitter.  

PS this is said with humour intended and is not a personal attack!

still waiting for the tickets southern man.
  • Downvote 2
I reckon he'll be just fine, and if you think about it life is for living. This weekend I will be visiting the old folks home which is sadly pretty much a warehouse where younger people put the oldies so life in the 'burbs can continue without having to look after them. Much rather die getting smashed to bits on a lonely grey sea doing the thing I love than sucking porridge through a straw.[/quotaa solo]

Darned right!

I got to be 70 a couple of years ago now and all my life I've wanted to fly, not in Mr. Boeing's finely engineered product but in something a bit more minimalist. I want to get myself a hang glider and I figure now's a good time. My family of course view this with some consternation because of its possible adverse consequences but recognise somewhat reluctantly that I have the right to pursue my dreams.

Therefore I am very strongly in favour of freedom of choice for the individual and I support Shane's right to conduct his voyage as he sees fit, but we must accept thay there may be consequences for all of us. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

We live in a state that 'knows what's best for us' and is determined to protect us from our own percieved silliness by various knee jerk reactions in order to save us from ourselves.

We are surrounded by examples of this, the compulsory wearing of lifejackets being one that affects us directly.

Members will recall that some months ago an elderly gentleman in the South Island was prevented by the authorities from making a solo ocean passage on a variety of pretexts and more recently the voyage of Darius DeWit was interfered with by MNZ who also impounded his vessel due to the lack of what they considered to be his experience and the required safety equipment.

So it would be fair to say that nautical activities are under the spotlight by the do-gooders who I suspect are just itching to legislate the crap out of us.

Go safely Shane. Don't give anyone any reason to mess with us.

Thats a irresponsible attitude.

I am not stopping Shane but pointing out the reality of the situation. I belive i care more for Shanes future by ensuring he does the right thing, thsn you guys wishing him bon voyage with a incorrect belief that sll is well.

Chrisc. Sure at seventy you can fly a wreck and die. Youre seventy not 20!... but who fixes the mess you make?

Who risks their life trying to avoid you crashing, getting you out of the wreckage etc....

And do you cionsider the effect on you family???

The lifejacket rule is a classic. If inexperienced morons did not head to sea and do dumb things we would not have any rules for lifejackets. But unfortunately inexperienced people, like Shane, do go to sea and get in trouble.

Just consider for a moment the cost to you and me Everytime a police or coastguard rescues all those idiots the get in trouble every day in NZ. Consider the idiots that drown and the cost to everbody when they drown because of a $90 lifejacket.

Also, Silliness is not perceived it is real. You and i may be experienced and capable but many, who want to enjoy the sea, are not!... thats why we have rules.

Your last line " go safely Shane" is very interesting! Is that " hope" , a request?, Or a confidence in " man and boat".... sounds like hope to me.

Good seamanship is not about pushing your luck and its not about poor preparation, hope, and fluking some good weather..

The biggest vairiable you have is the weather snd sea conditions.

Shanes average speed ( boat and skill) may see him out there for two weeks. A lot of weather can happen in two weeks.

You people need to think with clarity and understand the reality of this situation and all the issues that could be encountered.

I hope Shane knows about tides at Tory channell, and around the Brothers if he chooses the northern entrance.

Just small details people here do not consider.

Cook strait is a bit different to Thames.

You guys are dangerous.

• Downvote 1

I hope Shane knows about tides at Tory channell, and around the Brothers if he chooses the northern entrance.

Just small details people here do not consider.

Cook strait is a bit different to Thames.

You guys are dangerous.

To be honest NZL1, I tire of your insistence that you are unfailingly correct and if anyone has the temerity to disagree, they are wrong.  Could I gently and respectfully suggest that you take the opportunity to smell some flowers, laugh at a cute cat video, tell your children that you love them, and consider that ceaselessly railing against the world is something that will put you in the grave quicker than desired.

• Upvote 2

When I turn on the nowcasting I hear the relentless drone "the skipper is responsible for the safety of.............etc" It does not say "the internet is responsible........"

exactly...so why are you egging this novice on?

3 pages back someone said  " this is my last comment on this" or something similiar

Chrisc think about paragliding they are so much more portable and easy to setup than a hanglider, the feeling on my first flight was literally like being Superman !

To be honest NZL1, I tire of your insistence that you are unfailingly correct and if anyone has the temerity to disagree, they are wrong.  Could I gently and respectfully suggest that you take the opportunity to smell some flowers, laugh at a cute cat video, tell your children that you love them, and consider that ceaselessly railing against the world is something that will put you in the grave quicker than desired.

And who will put Shane in a grave if i am right?...

Ignorance is not excuse to die!

And, i am not saying i am correct. I am just putting the other side of tge debate out there.

But it appears people here are happy to send Shane out to sea without any real knowledge of his unpreparedness.

• Downvote 1

Your arguments are very fluid NZ1! You have contradicted yourself so many times! Andrew Fagan in fact had very little experience (other than sheltered waters) before heading to Raul Is. I don't think P Class racing as a young fella counts for much offshore.

I am still not convinced that you are not just here to take the piss!

Nice post Chrisc.. Yes every man should be in charge of his destiny. In my opinion the biggest risk is in fact not dieing.. I am far more concerned about living a mind numbingly boring and ultra safe life dictated by muppets who think they know better than everyone else.

I have raced post classic and F3 motorcycles.. I have also spent 6 years as a professional hunting contractor living and working in remote areas.. Taking risks and taking a path less trodden helps remind some of us that we are in fact not dead yet.

I do however think you are mad to attempt to fly around with a wee scrap of cloth preventing you from plummeting to the ground... But hey you are a grown man and it's not my place to try and stop you. Maybe just slip a crotch strap on to be safe though aye

Andrew Fagan sailed many boats from p classes to OK dingies to Cats and keelers with mates. He was a top sailor swh even beat Russell coutts in a race.

But again you fail to understand... he was older, wiser , and more experienced.

• Downvote 1

Your arguments are very fluid NZ1! You have contradicted yourself so many times! Andrew Fagan in fact had very little experience (other than sheltered waters) before heading to Raul Is. I don't think P Class racing as a young fella counts for much offshore.

Nice post Chrisc.. Yes every man should be in charge of his destiny. In my opinion the biggest risk is in fact not dieing.. I am far more concerned about living a mind numbingly boring and ultra safe life dictated by muppets who think they know better than everyone else.

I have raced post classic and F3 motorcycles.. I have also spent 6 years as a professional hunting contractor living and working in remote areas.. Taking risks and taking a path less trodden helps remind some of us that we are in fact not dead yet.

I do however think you are mad to attempt to fly around with a wee scrap of cloth preventing you from plummeting to the ground... But hey you are a grown man and it's not my place to try and stop you. Maybe just slip a crotch strap on to be safe though aye

And who will put Shane in a grave if i am right?...

Ignorance is not excuse to die!

And, i am not saying i am correct. I am just putting the other side of tge debate out there.

But it appears people here are happy to send Shane out to sea without any real knowledge of his unpreparedness.

fagan was very experienced. He sailed many classes at national level.OK dingy, Paper tiger and he sailed keelers i shote and of shore.

Unlike shane he was experinced.

Sabre, get with the picture!

• Downvote 1

Irresponsible attitude, NZL1?

Of course I consider the risks. I consider the extremely miniscule chance or a crash landing injuring another person. I consider my family, would they rather attend a funeral or spent years worrying over a demented old coot ekeing out his remaining years as a burden to them, the state the carers...

But, life is, or it should have an element of risk unless you prefer it to be so stultifying boring that you might as well go out and watch the daisies growing, just for the excitement.

And, I believe, no risk, no taking a chance, then no advancement.

And I'm happy to pay for people who come gloriously unstuck on some loony adventure. And I'm happy to go out there and pick up the pieces and try and put them back together again.

After all, it's what I do for a living.

3 pages back someone said  " this is my last comment on this" or something similiar

Chrisc think about paragliding they are so much more portable and easy to setup than a hanglider, the feeling on my first flight was literally like being Superman !

Your right. I will leave this topic to the " i know nothing about shanes ability and Boat but live in hope that he will make it' brigade.

I believe the people with true sailing experience are sitting back and posting nothing for a very good reason.

Shane, dont rely on luck.

To be honest NZL1, I tire of your insistence that you are unfailingly correct and if anyone has the temerity to disagree, they are wrong. Could I gently and respectfully suggest that you take the opportunity to smell some flowers, laugh at a cute cat video, tell your children that you love them, and consider that ceaselessly railing against the world is something that will put you in the grave quicker than desired.

+1

• Upvote 1

With pipis, tua tuas clams etc we rest them in a bucket of water with corn meal on the bottom first. They eat it and sh*t out the sand and grit. After a day they are fat and juicy to eat. Wonder if you can do that with mussells.

Never heard that before but I'm gonna give it a try some time over the break.

Brilliant idea! Or good con, either way one of us will be happy!

Talk about thread drift! Although I guess Paua from Kaikoura are vaguely like mussels!

With pipis, tua tuas clams etc we rest them in a bucket of water with corn meal on the bottom first. They eat it and sh*t out the sand and grit. After a day they are fat and juicy to eat. Wonder if you can do that with mussells.

Good tip, thanks.

The crunch of sand always put me off and ruined the whole taste sensation.

What kind of sauce does everyone use? We generally use mayo or tom sauce because that's all we carry, but I'm sure there's better alternatives out there. Maybe something a little bit gourmet?

Anyone got a good recipe for fritters? One of the favourites cruising is banana, yum!  ?

At the risk of getting onto a really touchy subject,

You let banana's on your boat?

Isn't that seriously bad luck?

I don't have bananas on my boat.

At all.

Ever.