Kaikoura Wharf.

Guest shane

He doesn't need my permission.

correct. And he does not need ill informed encouragement either.

Can the people that back this guy, his skills, and his boat, "hand on heart" say he is ready?

If it was people like Black Panther, knotme, Wheels, etc i would not hesitate to " bon voyage". If these people where sailing with him i would say go.

• Downvote 2

Are you for real?? People have the right to make their own decisions.. Sailing a yacht from Banks Pen to Marlborough isn't that hard. Some people with less experience and lesser boats have crossed oceans..

concentrate on something more important maybe like some of the world's starving children..

name one person with less experience and a similar boat, in similar waters, that have crossed oceans.

What is your offshore experience? The cook Strait is not lake Como.

I am for real.

• Downvote 2

name one person with less experience and a similar boat, in similar waters, that have crossed oceans.

I am for real.

Um, Shane Acton on Shrimpy, back in the day? http://www.fortpiercecitymarinaflorida.com/penryn/ballerina/shrimpy.html

"He knew nothing about sailing except what he had picked up from a book his sister gave him for his birthday. As he reached the sea on England's east coast he had to pause to work out how to put the sails up; he navigated with a plastic sextant-crude but it worked".

• Upvote 3

I am for real.

Offshore??  I have no offshore experience and have never said or implied that I have.

So what good sir may I ask is yours? As if it makes a difference.

Coastal sailing and navigation, and it's problems are a completely different problem.

When did Banks Peninsula to Marlborough Sounds become offshore?

It is with the correct weather a fairly straight forward trip by anyone's standard.

My own experience, amongst other area's includes 3 yrs in the Foveaux Strait area to Preservation Inlet.

I suspect you are not real: and only here to settle old scores! I also suspect you will fail.. :)

• Upvote 2

Um, Shane Acton on Shrimpy, back in the day? http://www.fortpiercecitymarinaflorida.com/penryn/ballerina/shrimpy.html

"He knew nothing about sailing except what he had picked up from a book his sister gave him for his birthday. As he reached the sea on England's east coast he had to pause to work out how to put the sails up; he navigated with a plastic sextant-crude but it worked".

And his boat???, His age ???

• Downvote 2

Offshore?? I have no offshore experience and have never said or implied that I have.

So what good sir may I ask is yours? As if it makes a difference.

Coastal sailing and navigation, and it's problems are a completely different problem.

When did Banks Peninsula to Marlborough Sounds become offshore?

It is with the correct weather a fairly straight forward trip by anyone's standard.

My own experience, amongst other area's includes 3 yrs in the Foveaux Strait area to Preservation Inlet.

I suspect you are not real: and only here to settle old scores! I also suspect you will fail.. :)

If you read my posts in context instead of selecting the odd one you disagree with you will se i have already stated my experience.

You are obviously a novice.

Offshore is when you leave the harbour. Some may say this is coastal, but you are better to prepare as if you are going offshore.

Well prepared People have died, in good boats, on this coast.

One good southerly 3 day blast, or a big NW blow could see this guy in all sorts of trouble.... but you think its a walk in the park.

• Downvote 4

Roses are Red

Violets are Blue

I have Alzheimers

Cheese on Toast.

Seconded

Also...NZL you are entitled to your opinion thought it obviously differs to others here that is ok too.

Frankly we are tired of listing to your opinion so please can we get back to answering Shane's question if we want to or leave it alone if we don't want to offer advice

Jesus NZL1 lay off the gin and tonic my friend I know it's summer and all but best of british to you, maybe go down to the putting green instead of playing in the forums wouldn't hurt you.  Or go plan a war with your toy soldiers.  Or go compare sailing stories somewhere else. I suspect the outcome will be the same as has been seen previously.  

• Upvote 1

And his boat???, His age ???

Ah, 25 I think when he set off, 18 foot plywood bilge keeler.  It's all in the link.

I have no opinion on the Shane that posts here, or what he is doing or not doing, nor do I have an opinion on you, or on anyone else that posts here as regards sailing  - I was just replying to your post asking for similar small boat that had crossed oceans by someone with next to no experience, Nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 2

If you read my posts in context instead of selecting the odd one you disagree with you will se i have already stated my experience.

Offshore is when you leave the harbour. Some may say this is coastal, but you are better to prepare as if you are going offshore.

Well prepared People have died, in good boats, on this coast.

One good southerly 3 day blast, or a big NW blow could see this guy in all sorts of trouble.... but you think its a walk in the park.

Hmmm, Well offshore is not classified as "when you leave the harbour" or even while you are within the 3 mile coastal limit.... That is coastal!! And even then..

So I THINK YOU need a walk in the park!!

• Upvote 1

Funny,

When I did my Ocean Yacht Master, we had to know the difference between coastal, offshore and ocean. Did they change that requirement?

Mind you, I always thought displaying sound judgement was a requirement for an Ocean Yacht Master as well. Maybe I was wrong.

• Upvote 1

Funny,

When I did my Ocean Yacht Master, we had to know the difference between coastal, offshore and ocean. Did they change that requirement?

Mind you, I always thought displaying sound judgement was a requirement for an Ocean Yacht Master as well. Maybe I was wrong.

No and i didnt say they did.

Yes you are wrong. Displaying good sound judgement would be to treat this as a offshore sail as opposed to a quick trip up the coast as you and others suggest.

Especially considering the person doing its ability.

How many offshore miles have you done?.

Jesus NZL1 lay off the gin and tonic my friend I know it's summer and all but best of british to you, maybe go down to the putting green instead of playing in the forums wouldn't hurt you.  Or go plan a war with your toy soldiers.  Or go compare sailing stories somewhere else. I suspect the outcome will be the same as has been seen previously.

so i take it you are backing this guy.

Noted for future reference. You better hope he makes it.

Here's a thought peeps.

I took a new job in an industry I know well recently.

After seeing the same mistakes causing the same problems every day (at a customers site) I asked the guy in charge why he insisted his staff did it that way.

Instead of thinking about the issue came the instant attacks.

The very first response was "how long have you been coming here? What can you know, you're only new!"

Just like the question that keeps coming up here regarding poster's experience. Seems like a position of insecurity to me.

• Upvote 1

Awww, bugger it, I will risk the wrath of NZL1 too and back Shane.  Go lad and enjoy your sailing. 

Hope to see you out there one day when I can finally get my own sh#t together and get my boat launched.

Sail on.

• Upvote 2

I'll put it out there NZL1 if you have the balls, I'll pay for your flight (within NZ) to meet shane and you two can have a joisting match.  That way it's fair and we actually get to see you are not an arm chair admiral with heaps of google experience!  Honestly post a photo, prove you are not just some sort of ghost who likes sailing! 

Obviously still on the Gin this morning?  You need to go meet Trump and he can introduce you to midnight twitter.  

PS this is said with humour intended and is not a personal attack! 

• Upvote 1

I'll put it out there NZL1 if you have the balls, I'll pay for your flight (within NZ) to meet shane and you two can have a joisting match.  That way it's fair and we actually get to see you are not an arm chair admiral with heaps of google experience!  Honestly post a photo, prove you are not just some sort of ghost who likes sailing! 

Obviously still on the Gin this morning?  You need to go meet Trump and he can introduce you to midnight twitter.  

PS this is said with humour intended and is not a personal attack!

SM. Heres the deal. You post a photo of and book the flights for me and you snd ill meet you there. We can them evaluate the whole scenario.

Slso...

I hope island time is giving you warninig points for the insults you post and i do not drink alcohol at all.

But i understand you like a tipple.

Look forward to seeing you there!