The B&G Simrad 100 Thread

Aquiline Report:

Started with number 2 and one tuck in the main. Glamour start coming off the line at boat end and plenty a clear water around us. Broke the tiller just before Rangi light and carried on sailing with the stub. Broke a winch handle halfway acros to haystack so were down to one winch handle (whose idea was it to have plastic winch handles!?). Took a reef out before haystack and held full main to the bottom of motuihe. Got smashed from Motuihe to the finish with the No 2 and a tuck, but maintained our position upwind even passing some bigger boats. Fun race.

Maybe you needed the big Main and genny Marshy...

Race date rating % against history Race

18-Sep-2010 0.6660 85.43 Simrad 2010, dv: short haul, r: 03

All in good time :)

Report from Nijinsky - The Not So 100 Miler

Once again boat preparation seemed to be the key element to a nice days sailing, plus traded in my trusty 65 kilo Italian crew “Luca”, for a 129 kilo Shrek called Craig Williams for the human ballast transfer system (SBTS).

The boat prep took ages, late nights, bolt replacement on the toe rails where the countersinks had pulled through. Tried several options to avail until closing time at Anzor on Friday night and finished up at about 8.30 trying to hold them on the outside and do the nuts up on the inside by myself. It worked a treat and now going to replace the ones on the starboard side. Promised the wife dinner out and failed miserably, now used up all brownie points and now in a lifetime of debt in the brown stuff again.

Anyway off we went at 7.30am, no coffee’s left on the dock, all food on board, beer, rum, crew, fuel, sails; bloody hell left on time with all gear, unbelievable. Got to the start line 30 minutes early. Got setup, the only choice was Dacron sails, one reef and a no4, perfect. Tooled around with only main up looking for our orange warning flag. Could only see a red one through my fogged up glasses and Craig being colour blind was just as useless so we waited until someone else started, bugger Sweeny was off like a lizard drinking and then started yelping on the radio “was that our start” course it bloody was but it was still a red flag – 1st suggestion to SSANZ – orange flag required. Anyway we chucked up the no4 and proceeded to follow Sweeny closely followed by Young Radical and Time Out.

We caught Sweeny up by Rangi light and watched Taeping and Hooters smoking through the fleet – absolutely wicked wish I had a waterproof camera. Spray everywhere and these two awesome and well driven boats driving through it trying to keep all 4 wheels in the water was fairly inspiring for our adventures for later.

Anyway the SBTS was working well and we got in front of Sweeny, and then proceeded to catch and pass some F920’s and 1020’s. On the north shore of Rangitoto, Sweeny were looking to make up some ground and changed from their storm jib to the no2. Sweeny then got into some breeze line and carried it down to us whilst we pulled out the reef. Sweeny had a bit more power on as we still carried the no4 and proceeded to pass us. It was time to use some of that inspiration so off high we went to go and try the No2 kite. It’s fairly short, round and lifted the bow nicely unlike me who’s is fairly short, round and sinks the bow.

Vaughan and Royce told me afterwards, they put bets on how long we could carry it, 2 min 30 was the consensus and bang nearly to the second we dropped it over. Anyway when it went up it was great, pulling easy 14’s to 15’s then a nice puff came in and as we bore away, seemingly at the time on rails the new downhaul 6mm spectra snapped clean in two ultimately resulting in a proper upending. Someone on the crew.org forum said we were trying to pull the mast out, not even close; it wasn’t a drama, not even ballsey, why wouldn’t you is the question you should ask yourself?

After a very brief discussion on who should go and drag it down, and me being the smaller of the two of us and with Craig having the SBTS in hand, I nimbly fell to leeward catching the winch and popped the jammer on the way through proceeding to chuck the kite down below. It was that easy! No drama! No trawling, nothing all quite boring. Sweeny had managed to make a further gain ahead due to our little upending so a little planning was required. As haystack was coming up it was fairly simple.

Craig “I think we might need to gybe here”

Des “okay”

Craig “then we need beer”

Des “okay and some food”

Craig “and some smokes”

Craig” and a bigger headsail”

Des “after a gybe and a beer”

So onwards we went, gybe, beer, sail change, beer and some jokes that aren’t good for young ears.

So after that, off I trotted up the front, no2 on, no4 down. No waves down the hatch, time for more refreshment with Craig hiking off the back quarter, mainsheet, and beer in hand and puffing away on a smoke. We absolutely smacked it down to Motuhi, caught up Sweeny in no time. The after match conversation from Vaughan was “I can’t believe you went so fast down that reach”. Yep Vaughan I think we have got that one sorted now! Reaching speed; - tick one more thing off the list. How are we going to go upwind?

The upwind was always going to be about preservation, Sweeny and Nijinsky rounded together at the south end of Motuhi, full mains and no2’s. We went for a reef straight away and made a slight lead on Sweeny. Sweeny looked to be struggling which made us think we needed to change to the No4.Changing down to the no4 allowed Sweeny and the two canters to pass us.

The decision on who went up front was already made but we had the conversation any way. No paper, scissors, rocks, just from Craig, “if I go up there I’ll sink your boat”. Sweeny had dropped their main remaining under no2 then proceeded to tack off to Browns and the Tamaki River while we carried onto Rangi and the flat water on the south side of Rangi. It paid off in bucket loads, really made some ground up, passed the canters, 1020’s and passed numerous boats before tacking out from the reef. It didn’t feel fast but less slow than a lot of others.

On the finishing leg just after Bean rock and 50 knots came through, completely pan caked, one bent stanchion from Craig hanging onto it, that one was a biggy, I think thats where we made another big gain, we spent less time knocked over than others. Time to be cautious, from about 500metres out we were thinking about how to finish, first time for some stress levels to rise and then sleet, hailstones, fog and I wear glasses. Bollocks couldn’t see a thing!

Somehow the race committee saw us finish, GUN SMOKE! Yee ha, oh bugger seawall, bugger bigger gust, bugger didn’t make a good tack, even more bugger running out of room, bugger back up didn’t work, tried again, just made it with copious amounts of sculling and swearing. Sorry SSANZ had to come back through the finish line, too close to a literal pile up for my liking. Suggestion No2 to SSANZ, more sea room at the finish please.

Dropped the main, auto helm on, beer in, check max speed, 17 knots – wicked probably for only 2 seconds. Passed a couple of random blokes standing up on boards paddling away in the channel. That weirded me out a bit. How can they stay up on those things?

The lead changed 5 times between Sweeny Todd and ourselves, thanks Vaughan and Royce for a tough race. No quarter given and superb competition from a club mate.

Thanks Young Radical and Time Out for doing this race, just to finish was a huge achievement.

Mike from Young Radical I think you can get rid of the belligerent Nijinsky comments now – quietly bloody determined would be appreciated.

Suggestion no3 to SSAANZ; no further suggestions, awesome racing and thanks for a great series. It was a good call to put us on the heavy weather course.

Thanks to Luca for helping to prep the boat and do the first two races and Craig for crewing the last one. Also some of my regulars gave us a hand to get the boat setup, the game plan was no gear breakages, and to finish first not that we had too but anything less would have seemed unsatisfactory.

And my lovely wife Katharine who has put up with me playing boats – thanks.

See you at the Coastal Classic.

The Nijinsky Team.

post-3523-14188716649.jpg

Maybe you needed the big Main and genny Marshy...

Race date rating % against history Race

18-Sep-2010 0.6660 85.43 Simrad 2010, dv: short haul, r: 03

All in good time :)

Haha nah the Big Pink Slut gennaker died the week before after another good ride where we pushed a bit too hard... Only one way to find out what the boat is made of!

I recon if they could have race-tracked our trip to rakino we would have been doing well, it was a good ride, But the uphill sucked without a decent number 3!! A Dirty Boyd and Mac Dacron jobby wasnt man fo the job really!

Come to think of it we needed no more sail area up on the way down hill... Or else the rudder may have broken the whole way not just half way through! Lucky to have made it to the finish in one piece that poor rudder...

IMG00007-20100923-1937.jpg

he says he is going to the gym but if he had hair i reckon he would look like the postman Cliff from "cheers" the one who said "its a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing milk bone under wear".

He reckons half of it is his willy, scares me when he talks like that and especially when i am about to go sailing, just the two of us.

Even worse when we got back to Bucks marina and the talk just got worse the more rums got poured down ya throats!! You two certainly had some odd things to talk about on the Rail!!

GO THE RATTLE N RUM!!! thats solid. proof that the boats can achieve good results in any conditions.

Gutted to miss the race but the boys had a blinder and held onto our series win. Both Richie and Me are out of the country so Chris maddock and Jamie logan took the boat for us. Epic effort by the boys in challenging conditions for an SR26.

2nd time in the last 3 years that an SR26 has taken the shorthaul sports div on line and handicap.

Great shots Marshy, that looks like alot of fun mate. watch those rudder gudgeons, they do break- I know this!!

You are a great addition to the SR fleet, you need to come and do the white island against us (rattle) and Traveln man. Game on.

Archived