The B&G Simrad 100 Thread

Can't pull out if we aren't racing ;)

The question should be - If we do get on a hell ride will we stop and turn at a corner or just keep going?

I have that as a 50/50 at this stage. 2morrow is purely about the ride, the 'Race' angle is purely a cover story to shut up the frontbums left at home :lol:

Don't panic, SSANZ will be kept informed if we wonder off track.

welll...... what a day for a great sail..... look forwarding to hearing (reading) the stories later this arvo....

oracle was super keen..... but just wasnt to be us today....

even had crew man Bob down the boat this morning when i got there making the sandwiches at 0730.... only for me to inform him that i couldnt even close a drawer let alone hold a tiller with out wincing in pain. so it was with regret that we both decided better to sit this one out...

on the plus side i should be able to recover enough to catch the plane to maryland USA on Monday to Brets wedding (brother)

looking out my window at castor bay can only see afew sails in the far distance at 10:30.... don't tell me its such a great ride the bulk of the fleet are already behind the islands ? (heavy weather course)

looking forward to hearing the stories..

I went to watch from Takapuna boat ramp. The big boys were just past Rangi Light off into a good rain squall. There were a couple of multis chasing late. I assume they stopped to reef and small jib. In the short haul boats there were a couple of jibs being changed. The small boats had a gybe around Saltworks. The first cruising boat did a granny, Revolution was 2nd and gybed. Looking at their course there is 3 gybes. Good thing we rebedded the traveller bolts this winter, but I hope we still have a mainsheet system!

Looks like 60+ boats so still a good fleet.

Small blue monohull with green writing on side just lost entire rig off Kohimarama waterfront. Coastguard on scene after a Tracker (?) sportingly came back to check all was OK.

More drama off Kohimarama - Elliot tourer 'Flyer' appears to be at anchor near reef and dropping sail.

Man it looks windy out there - small multis coming back with 3rd reefs in, boats sailing under main alone (?), boats getting blown flat in gusts. All good stuff...

Revolution back on the marina. Finished inside 3 hours. They reported over 11kn with #3 and a reef inside the harbour. Also green water over the cabin top. They were 2nd to Browns but passed Vivo coming home.

Some of the little boats tried kites.

2:35pm. Nijinsky just sent a message, they are on the way home to HMB from Orakei. They were first Y88 to finish. Saw 17 knots with the kite up but then waved the keel in the air for a bit apparently.

Think the boat who lost their rig was Zen.

They're on the heavy air course AA, which I think ranges from a 15nm small boat course to the long haul which goes as far as GH Navy Buoy then around the odd island coming back.

Sounds like coastguard have been kept busy, few boats with engine problems and so forth.

Commiserations to Bob Nevill on Rebel Yell who lost his mast off Kohi.

Phocena pulled out within sight of the finish line when a halyard broke.

Tai Ping was sailing back and forth for hours after the finish. Looked like they couldn't drop their main.

Coastguard was kept very busy by all these yachties. Don't they listen to the forecast? :silent: They had to tow two big Elliot 50s back. Three coastguard boats at Westhaven.

We heard peak 47 average 32 at Bean Rock on the way back to the finish.

Good call by SSANZ to go for the heavy weather course. Wouldn't have been much fun in those conditions in the dark.

Well done to all who finished. Hope there weren't too many injuries or damages.

Elly was first UpTo26er to cross the line :thumbup:

Archived