Hi everyone, the Catalina 7 is home for a bit of maintenance, and a new colour for the stripe and window surrounds. Then it's back up to the compound for another season of yachting adventures.

I'm looking into a boat upgrade (aren't we all??) this year or early next. Planned club trip to Great Barrier with other trailer yachts and keelers coming up end of November. I also want to go to Kawau island this season.

Anyone want to suggest a destination I should visit and blog about?

I'm thinking of bringing the action camera and videoing my adventures this year and maybe sharing them, Who would be interested in that?

Hi

Anyone want to suggest a destination I should visit and blog about?

Every bay, nook and beach in the Gulf has a story or can end up having a story; the trip there or back as well as what happened while there. Just poke your nose out of Kawakawa Bay, toss a coin (port or starboard) tack/jibe over and head off.

For me I like the area around Kawau Island through to Mahurangi (heading up to Warkworth for a coffee is always fun in a trailer yacht) and the exploring of the smaller islands and wrecks.

Having said that I'm equally happy exploring from Te Kouma north to Waimate Island area. Getting up the Whangarahi Stream to Wharf Road is also a good party trick for a trailer yacht.

Planned club trip to Great Barrier with other trailer yachts and keelers coming up end of November. I also want to go to Kawau island this season.

Both well worthy of visits ....  

I'm looking into a boat upgrade (aren't we all??) this year or early next.

Good luck in that space never a easy call ..... Catalina's are great boats 

Good suggestions, thanks.

"Getting up the Whangarahi Stream to Wharf Road is also a good party trick for a trailer yacht"

My home town! I know why you like that stream eruptn, it leads directly to the bottom pub! And a petrol station, which is nearly as good for "re-fueling". Just don't hang around to long, when the tide goes out there, it goes out.

"Kawau Island through to Mahurangi (heading up to Warkworth for a coffee is always fun in a trailer yacht) and the exploring of the smaller islands and wrecks."

Where are the wrecks? Are they on the charts? Can you recommend a couple of good ones to aim for?

Hi

Check info on Moturekareka Island and the hermit that lived there. There are two wrecks (ive only been able to identify one). You can float a TY inside at highwater and anchor between it and the coast when calm.

Another to look out is HMNZS HINAU used as a breakwater at Kaiaua. 

wreck1.PNG

wreck2.PNG

• Upvote 1

The second wreck is/was between the bow of the rewa and the point,use to be able to see wooden or something,The last hermit was an interesting character "Snow Harris" First met him at mansion house bay around 1971,asked who dad and I were and said "you must Andys son" dads dad,my grandfather,went out to island a few days later and he certainly knew my grandfather.

Use to row an old clinker dinghy 10ft? had 2 shacks,one towards the top for summer and one in the bay for winter.

The last communication we had with Snow,was what are you going to do when the island is too tough for you ,organised with the Salleys and a blind eye will be turned,he never made that trip.

Had an epic trip, launched at Whitianga and went over to the Mercs.

http://gulfwanderers.blog/2017/10/23/great-mercury-island/

Check it out, please give feed back.

Great Barrier trip planned for end of next month, looking forward to that! Will take a video camera or two and maybe start some you tube silliness....