First time antifouling

We are about to haul out Dog Star (renamed Oceans 12 we bought in November) among other things, to replace a bronze through hull and replace the cutlass bearing, but also to repair some small blisters under the gel coat and antifoul.

I have read a few posts here including the sand vs no-sand thread and I'm a bit confused as to what to do with this real world boat vs the Google boat :)

Should I sand the whole lot back and put an epoxy barrier coat on before two coats of a good antifoul? Or should I just fix the minor blistering, fill and then reapply micron (extra I think, previous owner said it was the cheaper one) over the top of the old stuff? We're planning a pacific trip in 2018 so I want to be pragmatic in containing costs but not generate more work than I need to by doing half the job now.

Look forward to your sage advice!

First question, what is the Hull? There are blisters and then there are blisters. I wouldn't panic too much yet.
If the AF is fair, then a good waterblast and paint with new AF. If it is ruff and lots of old stuff, you may need to scrap off and start afresh. If the blisters are bad, then you need to sand back, fill and barrier coat.

It's a GRP hull built in 1993 - the glass is about 35mm thick and it's generally in good nick. The boat builder who surveyed her seemed to think they were not a big deal, just a very small amount of them, 5 or 6, which are about 5-8mm in diameter

you could just  fix these and then epoxy these areas only, the old antifouls doesnt need to be stripped off entirely just the growth etc....   get some of the open hex sandpaper sheets they are magic,   so is using an old rupes 1/2 sheet sander via isolation transformer spray the area with water first....    the rupes floats and strips no dust....

i can do an entire boat in a day,  its holding the sander above the head that is tiring...   I normally then do 3 coats of the ultra hard stuff...   stays on better then others i have tried and my boats in the tamiki river so lots of growth

It's a GRP hull built in 1993 - the glass is about 35mm thick and it's generally in good nick. The boat builder who surveyed her seemed to think they were not a big deal, just a very small amount of them, 5 or 6, which are about 5-8mm in diameter

i would say he is spot on.

It is also quite possible they are not in the Gelcoat itself, but there maybe a barrier coat they are under. It's certainly not something I would worry too much about. But the few big ones you could break the tops off and fill with epoxy filler, then AF.