window replacement

I need to replace my main cabin windows & am struggling to find someone to do it.   Preferably I'd like  the whole job done but I can get replacements made myself & then have them put in by someone who does fiddly marine jobs.  Has anyone else replaced windows recently or can make a recommendation?

Thanks

SR26 in Westhaven.  Currently has perspex type windows with a zillion bolts through.  I'm told if done in perspex again it only really needs bolts in the corners due to the performance of the adhesive being very good now.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers

SR26 in Westhaven. Currently has perspex type windows with a zillion bolts through. I'm told if done in perspex again it only really needs bolts in the corners due to the performance of the adhesive being very good now.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers

I did windows my self and was told to be careful with bolts only in corners as the stresses there can cause them to crack. Without bolts the whole window is flexible. I didn't use bolts at all in the end and no problems after 3 years. Used a Sika flex product, but can't remember which one.

If you use bolts use several to spread the load.

We did the windows on Rocky 3 years ago no screws haven't even looked like moving still as good now as when they were installed.

There was a thread on it somewhere but basically you need to get some really strong tape that goes along the inside edge to hold the window while the mastic sets. (Think the tape they use to hold car spoilers on with)

DSC_0426.jpg

IMG_20160810_141214.jpg

• Upvote 1

All stuck on the outside roughly 25mm overlap all the way around. The old ones were just stuck on also had a hell of a time removing them had to hammer a scraper in between the window and the frame all the way around. Used simson glazing mastic with a primer, sanded the inside edge prior to bonding.

Think it was this one http://bostik.co.nz/userDocuments/simson-70-08-tds.pdf

Im looking at putting some new acrylic windows in shortly. I am planning on using 1.6mm VHB tape around the inside edge and MS35 to bond it. I have a few questions, Do I need to key the acrylic? should i use black out primer? How much product am I likely to use for two windows 2400x300mm?

Cheers

IMO the best solution is to use Quilosa MS35 adhesive from the Glue Guru here in Auckland. No tapes required. Be careful in this heat, its initial grab is strong, will immediately hold the window in place, and it sets really fast. Windows are a 2 person job, make certain you put them on straight!

I've done a few boats with it, and no leaks, easy install. No mechanical fasteners required.

Oh, and its not expensive, and needs no primers, etchers or anything :-)

Glasscorp sell the best adhesive for this - it's a Dow Corning product and I think it Dow Corning 925. I did my Lotus windows with it and no screws necessary. Glasscorp also sell glazing tape, which is magic stuff for making the job easier. You have about12mm overlap with the windows and the frames., put the glazing tape around the inside of the frame and simply press the acrylic onto the tape. Sticks really well. Then you can take your time filling the void with the adhesive - which of course if the messy bit! It's definitely worth masking both the frames and the outside of the acrylic.