unseamanlike overtaking

Sailing back to Auckland from Mahurangi yesterday morning we were overtaken by a centre cockpit SV XXXXXXX (I estimate 50 foot or above).

He came alongside within three metres and then cut over our bow leaving 3-5 metres.

I would have had no trouble with his behaviour if it was a race, but it wasn't. And he had no idea of my skill, or lack of it, in keeping a straight course or taking evasive action. I'm surprised he didn't call for me to luff up and tack away.

If anything had gone wrong it would have been a mess.

• Upvote 1

Where did it happen? In the harbour, on a transit line, in the middle of nowhere?

Sundreamer's probably guiltier than most of doing the leeward dip drive-by, always to the benefit of both of us. All we expect is that the other boat holds their course.

It does not matter if he was racing. For the rrs to apply, if I understand correctly, BOTH boats must be racing, or its 50m or

Ive had a couple of members request this thread be deleted. I'm not sure it should be - this is a valid discussion I think, although it would be better if no names were mentioned.

However, I'm open to consensus. Should the thread stay or go?

Stay - but it'd be good to hear from the skipper of ****** because I guess there is quite another side to the original tale.
I race and I cruise, but in general I try to stay well clear from other boats. I can't afford the repairs or be bothered with the hassle.

I think you will find the passing vessel wasn't breaking any laws.

From the Maritime NZ Maritime rules part 91

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/rules/part-91/Part91-maritime-rule.pdf

91.6 Speed of vessels (1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, propel or navigate a vessel (including a vessel towing a person or an object) at a proper speed exceeding 5 knots: (a) within 50 metres of any other vessel, raft, or person in the water (deleted bits not relavant)

(5) Rule 91.6(1)(a) shall not apply to:

(a) a vessel over 500 gross tonnage, if the vessel cannot be safely navigated in compliance with this clause; or

( b a vessel powered by sail in relation to any other vessel powered by sail, while the vessels are participating in a yacht race or training administered by— (i) a club affiliated to Yachting New Zealand; or (ii) a non profit organisation involved in sail training or racing; 

Plus one would normally assume the skipper of a vessel under sail has half an idea.

I think you will find the passing vessel wasn't breaking any laws.

From the Maritime NZ Maritime rules part 91

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/rules/part-91/Part91-maritime-rule.pdf

91.6 Speed of vessels (1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, propel or navigate a vessel (including a vessel towing a person or an object) at a proper speed exceeding 5 knots: (a) within 50 metres of any other vessel, raft, or person in the water (deleted bits not relavant)

(5) Rule 91.6(1)(a) shall not apply to:

(a) a vessel over 500 gross tonnage, if the vessel cannot be safely navigated in compliance with this clause; or

( b a vessel powered by sail in relation to any other vessel powered by sail, while the vessels are participating in a yacht race or training administered by— (i) a club affiliated to Yachting New Zealand; or (ii) a non profit organisation involved in sail training or racing; 

Plus one would normally assume the skipper of a vessel under sail has half an idea.

that only applies if both yachts are racing, I got the impression that only the larger yacht was racing, therefore what IT said, 5 knots within 50metres.  I would have thought 3 metres was pretty close for two random boats to pass....

I guess I didn't read the second bit only the a vessel powered by sail in relation to any other vessel powered by sail

If it were me and a larger boat that was racing did a dip down to go under me and passed 3 meters away I wouldn't be worried. Actually I would go out of my way not to hinder them.