Improper thoughts?

Guest 000

Now that the we have spent over a month on board already this summer, I think that we both have a slight feeling of unease, ie, we are perhaps ever so slightly bored with the whole sailing business.

We go to Europe in their summer now and again with our bikes and tents etc and go cycle touring, and our last tour was through France, much of it along the canals.

Very beautiful!

So I am thinking about exchanging the H28 for a canal boat and spending 4-6 months of the year on the European waterways.

If anyone has any experience of this, positive or negative, then we would really like to hear from you.

we had the same feeling in the whitsundays years ago, sailing around in the same area without discovering new places started to feel like a waste of time .  I like the idea of maybe buying a cheap boat in an area eg europe , cruising until you have had enough, and then selling it.  once you get to a certain age you start to realise that time is precious and you need to do stuff while you still can and still want to do it.

a few years ago was looking at a german alloy reinke yacht, bilge keeled

quite a few seemed to drop their masts and motor through the canals 

be a nice plan to buy in hamburg?

motor down through the canals to the med.

sail back to nz

or 

buy in med, spain or baltic

sail around a bit 

then motor up canals

French-Canals-Map.jpg

Vespina-3.jpg

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/Reinke-S11-3047192/New-Zealand#.WJTZk_l97IU

We did a week on a canal boat in UK one Easter about 5 years ago.  Magic.  They don't go much faster than brisk walking pace so everything just slows down and you time your stops around pubs and cafes en route.  One of the most relaxing holidays we've had.  Not sure on what it's like in Europe but suspect it's similar.

Only downside was you're tied up at night often next to a walkway so the odd rowdy bunch walk past but everyone on the canal was really friendly and welcoming.

Was told a few of the marinas charge an arm and a leg for berthage as you have nowhere else to go so you may want to check out costs of leaving it somewhere while you're over here.  Probably not much different than leaving a boat on a marina here while you're overseas.

One can also do a good bit of canal wandering in Ontario, Canada and the NE US. 

Unspoiled and excellent fishing in many places - can be canoed or kayaked for the fit. 

Best to try it out with a charter before investing big US/NZ $ 

We did an off-season house boat charter on the Trent-Severn - must say that tying up

at the locks just a few steps from little downtown's restaurants & shopping was easy.

The admiral liked it a lot. 

http://boating.ncf.ca/images/chart-canals-north.gif

And you do your boating right into the heart of most of the major cities. Last year I was at a wedding reception beside a canal in Clapham bang in middle of London and all these canal boats were floating past and I thought it looked like a way cool way to see the city.

Wife hard out investigating the purchase of a vessel around 9-10 metres LOA in Holland. She has the advantage of being Dutch and with a whole bunch of sailing rellies over there to help us along with the search.

Seems to be a lot of darned nice boats for sale for not too much money.

Will keep you informed of how it pans out.

at 1 stage my daily commute in london was under a very old, small but massively built, iron, riveted, victorian bridge 

sitting at the lights 1 day waiting to go under and idly pondering what engineering challenge had resulted in its unique construction

when a canal boat motored across the top

may have been the regent's canal aqueduct

can't find a good google pic yet of it in the city but this sets the scene

0445f512db9218c6438d552f878ee9bd.jpg

We hired a canal boat in the netherlands early last october. It was towards the end of their season but we absolutely loved it. My parents were dutch, however I can't speak much of it. The advantage of holland is everyone speaks english and generally are very courteous and helpful. We hired a boat for a week. It is actually a really cheap holiday if you think of meals accomodation and transport for a week I would buy a boat over there and do it again at the drop of a hat, but can't afford it yet.

Yes agree about good value, have done canals in the UK from Chester and in and out of Wales great fun. Two years ago did a week on the Norfolk Broads once again great value with travel and accomodation looked after. Pays to research who you are chartering off though, both times we felt very lucky when looking at some of the other boats.Now investigating the French canals for this year...

Just to keep this post ticking over..

We are currently in communication with a few brokers and private sellers in Holland - lots of photos, emails, certification etc going back and forth. And also getting a grip on the various rules and regulations regarding long term canal boating in France - nothing so far that could be called onerous. €25,000 on average will get a very nice 10-12 metre motorboat suitable for canals and rivers.

First though, have to decide about the H28. Don't think I can afford to keep and maintain both.

I have done the Canal du Midi from Bordeaux to Sete (enter via the Gironde river in the Atlantic and exit in the Med) and also the Rhone river, then Canal du L'Est to the Moselle, Mosel, then into the Rhine, exit in Holland. The canal and river system in France was 100% free in the 80s. Not sure now. All the locks are operated by retired civil servants. Their retirement is to get the Lock keeper's house for free, and in return they operate the lock. Some of these guys were magic. Some were miserable! The whole experience was awesome, and such a nice way to travel. I did it in a Dufour 29 which drew 1.6 metres, the maximum for most of the canals. We took the mast down in Bordeaux then raised it again in Sete.

There was a motorcycle mate called Dick Waterer who did it about 3-4 years ago in a canal boat he bought in Holland. Put a motorbike on the deck and lifted off with a crane. He would be good to track down for advice. Great way to see some amazing scenery. You can go all the way to Berlin if you want!! I can try to get ahold of Dick if you like? PM me.

• Upvote 1

My wife's from Chester. The North England and Welsh canals are just fantastic. One of my favourite pubs in Cheshire is "the Cat" on the Shropshire Union. We (that is me with her indoors going along with it) have a long term plan to keep a canal boat for a few years as a place to stay when we visit.

IMG_0412.JPG

Ahh - the table behind the sandwich boards - the pints I've drunk there!

I can just imagine getting hammered in the cat and then staggering across to the boat!

Currently I get hammered on the cat and then fall into the cat!

IMG_0413.JPG

Got two open departure date tickets booked for Amsterdam, and a few Dutch built motor boats and barges to look at. Cheaper to buy in Holland and then motor the vessel to France via the Dutch/Belgian/French canal systems.

Now considering the possibility of a permanent lifestyle change.

Well, it's all changed.

When push came to shove, we couldn't bring ourselves to part with the H28, and the budget doesn't stretch to owning and maintaining two boats at opposite ends of the earth.

But we had booked airplane tickets already so now we are off to Europe towards the end of May, together with our bicycles, sleeping bags and tent, and the plan is a cycle tour through Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Italy.

My wife just loves cycling them hills!

Still going to make a detour and seriously check out a few canal boats though.