Westhaven berth charges increase

Oh come MB I thought you were going to tell us that was all good value, yes with the power and water now charged separately I have a recent  release from them explaining that the "big boys" would now be paying their share which would minimise the need for the smaller berths to subsidise them and thus restrict the increase to cost....

Same in most Auckland marinas though as I think their is quite a shortage of 10m berths at the moment.  Tip of the iceberg I'd say, a lot more increases to come.  When was the last increase in price though?  Be interesting to average the increase over the years and see if it matches CPI.  

Bigger berths cost per m than smaller ones to rent, but with a better use of the water as you need fewer alleys and less Marina infrastructure( or are they that much wider?). Maybe that's where the rort is actually, and the smaller boats are actually getting a good deal :/

The new rates are up for all berths: http://www.westhaven.co.nz/getmedia/7a545557-4674-4e03-aa79-cb12c784471d/Rental_RatesFeb17.pdf/

Not just singling out Westhaven here, because all marinas have flouted the law in my opinion. They are all banding together and continually raising their prices - we know they all get together every year and do it. Anti competitive, monopolising etc etc. What Sky Tv just tried to do - and failed - is nothing compared to the rort that Auckland Marinas are undertaking in recent years.

Problem is, someone with the legal nous and cash to boot needs to take these pr**ks to court. But who has the legal nous and cash to do it? Not me and your normal joe blog yachtie.

I mean, $604 for a 10m finger berth - what a f**king joke. 

Don't think its cause for the panic that seems to be going on above.

The 10m finger berths were already something like $580 so we're talking about a less than $1 per day increase. Yes the 10m non finger berths have gone up by a chunk but having spent more than a year on the waiting list for one at one stage you could argue they were under priced before hand and market forces suggest the increase makes sense.

Don't think its cause for the panic that seems to be going on above.

The 10m finger berths were already something like $580 so we're talking about a less than $1 per day increase. Yes the 10m non finger berths have gone up by a chunk but having spent more than a year on the waiting list for one at one stage you could argue they were under priced before hand and market forces suggest the increase makes sense.

$580 was a rip-off, and $604 even more of a rip-off.