depends on the phone.  If you have a phone with an SD card often the easiest option is to take it out and put it in your laptop (assuming your laptop has an SD reader) and drop the files on there.

If using a cable it's likely that after plugging in your phone will need you to tell it to allow the computer to browse the phone, and not simply charge it.  How this is done will depend on what you've got, on my latest version of android you can swipe down from the top of the screen and go into a shortcuts menu that lets you do it.

Or, just use your browser on the phone to re-download the charts directly to your phone from wherever they came from originally (linz?)

I go to the LINZ site, download the latest Raster charts, extract or unzip them on my PC. I then connect my Samsung phone to the PC using the cable and move the chart folder into the Android file which seems to be where the OpenCPN app. looks, I wouldn't mind knowing how to get it to select the SD card. 

Then I go to the OpenCPN app and select settings and chart info, then I select the file and it seems you may sometimes have to select it but then look through the files to find the one you inserted BSB Root, select that on and when it looks for the chart it uses hat one. I now have the 2017 updated charts which have a few changes, especially around Tauranga. It is a great tool!

Opencpn will "look" for charts wherever you tell it to. Go in to settings, charts, add directory where you have the charts. That's the android version, but pc is very similar. You can use a file manager app to move it around, or even copy it from a pc...

• Upvote 1

I have downloaded the app on my new phone, does anyone know how to get charts on to it?

I think there is actually a download option (perhaps you need to enable a plugin, can't remember), but the screen layout is so screwed up, it's basically impossible to reach the right buttons. But as ballystick said, that's the easiest.

Berend, I already sorted BP's ph for him. 

I dont find the buttons hard to use - what Ph/device do you have it on? Can you provide a screenshot/pic?

Perhaps I can help....