sailing to nz, mast fell off

A Perth-based Challenger search and rescue jet flew to the dismasted 13-metre vessel, Jedi 1, locating it 1300km southwest of Cape Leeuwin, and established a radio connection around midnight, the Safety Authority said.

The three male crew members of the Jedi 1 confirmed their yacht had been dismasted and
their intention to abandon the stricken vessel.

Given the yacht's remote location, AMSA engaged the Royal Australian Navy for assistance in rescuing the crew and HMAS Parramatta was deployed shortly after 2am on Friday, 18
March.

It took HMAS Parramatta more than 40 hours to reach the men.

jediamsa_620x310.jpg

rescuemap.JPG

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11821320

Sailing to NZ??

Are they taking the Scenic Route? That's not the direction I would have headed.
Why aren't they under power and heading home? she looks a capable boat. Obviously not a capable crew.

rhumb line from south africa to nz

looks like they cut away everything so nothing to make a jury rig from.....

1300km a long long way to motor, any guesses to how much fuel they'd need?

Agreed erice, long way to motor in seas like that - it is the southern ocean. A yacht without any rig has a very quick motion - supposed to be very uncomfortable. Interesting they are carrying a dingy, upright, in davits, in the sothern ocean. And it is still there, but the rig is not...

Most cruising yachts can't motor more than a few hundred miles...especially when its not flat seas.

rhumb line from south africa to nz

The heading said OZ to NZ and the article said it was a Perth based boat. I'm confused.

1300Kms yeah I know is a long way, but heading back to Oz surely is better than continuing to go further away....in the a direction that is taking you further into the Southern Ocean.

Spinnaker pole with sheets as stays..?

Should pick up W to SW winds from there..

Even at three knots that's 18 days..which has to be within their food and water..?

Probably horrible but would save the boat and a lot of trouble.

that far south not sure that mercator map does it justice

gallery_1988_51_235791.png

with a poor downwind jury rig would probably have to aim for adelaide or hobart, 2-3 times the distance...months in the southern ocean with a fragile rig

Agreed erice, long way to motor in seas like that - it is the southern ocean. A yacht without any rig has a very quick motion - supposed to be very uncomfortable. Interesting they are carrying a dingy, upright, in davits, in the sothern ocean. And it is still there, but the rig is not...

Most cruising yachts can't motor more than a few hundred miles...especially when its not flat seas.

Yes, I think that they may well have had other issues going on too - who knows what other damage was done?

But a quick calculation of travel time, should the conditions be reasonable enough to be able to motor in a direction that is going to lead to a 1300Km trip. 700nm. Maybe a travel speed of 3.5kn? Or with no mast and stability, would that be unreasonably high? Of course, a lot less windage now... But thats 200 hours motoring. 8.3 days. at, lets guess around 2.5 - 3 lph? 500 - 700 liters fuel. On a 13m yacht which has already travelled from South Africa. Very, very unlikely to have sufficient fuel to make it 1/2 the distance.  I do wonder if my assumption of 3.5kn is a little on the generous side? I have never been in that ocean down there. But I have heard many stories from those who have!.

At least they are not just a statistic.

At least it was just the mast. It would be much worse if the front fell off

Well, if the front fell off, they'd have to tow it out of the environment.

Not into a different environment, just outside of the environment.

I wonder if insurance in involved?

Personally, i could put up with a crap-load of discomfort if i was going to loose $200k of uninsured boat, but id be less inclined if the boat was full insured.

Fuel and food could easily be dropped off.