Easy to sail family cruiser 40ft+? $70k possible?

Well Ive finally got the Mrs off of power boats and into sailing. We had a good summer with friends and I think she has the basics and was a good refresher for me.

We are moving back to Aus to save up for an early retirement either in Whangarei Heads/Tutukaka or KeriKeri. We have decided you only need to own your home, be financially secure, own your yacht and your horse, basically no debts and any small income beyond that is sufficient to live on, as life is for living not for working.

We want to be able to sail up that way and down to the Hauraki gulf, so something substantial will be required but we wont very low maintenance. We plan on having 1 child soon (no the budget cant afford 2, yes I am mean haha). So it will need be safe for an 8 year old, there abouts.

I plan to own a 12-14ft hypalon RIB for fishing and diving, would a boat this size be impractical to two behind a yacht this size and am I better off getting a 10ft tender for our fishing and diving when away sailing?

I will be looking for something in 10 years time that will still have plenty of nautical miles left in her and looks smart, the Mrs likes teak boarding, but any wood is suitable imo.

So given we are 10 years out from buying, what is an easy to sail 1.5 handed (ie me doing all the work) boat of this size and is this large enough for BOI to Hauraki Gulf and out to GBI etc? I will be mid 50s and she will be mid 40s (yes I got a keeper). 

And is my budget large enough? Im not sure I will be able to stretch it much further.

What would my best mooring options be in Whangarei Heads and KeriKeri, price wise?

We plan to get a smaller yacht whilst in Aus as I know the waters quite well. 

In the mean time Id like some yachts to consider, if anything that can be sailed single handed is suitable dont be afraid to mention but I like the sound of size especially if we are as far out as the barrier etc.

I also prefer yachts with a duckboard at the back for each access to my dive tender and or landing my marlin ;-p

Just buy a cat while in Aus and bing it back duty free as long as you have owned and used it for 2 years before importing.

But really if you are talking 10 years away its hardly worth considering just yet.  Much cheaper boats at mid 30ft than 40 ft and plenty big enough for what you want to do in either a cat or mono. As for towing I towed a 22ft trailer sailer with a 32ft cat which is easy in good conditions but in bad weather towing is never good .However on a long rope/bridle a 12ft rib should be possible. Anything within reason can be singlehanded , an autopilot helps though.

No duty here on boats from oz anyway, regardless of length of ownership.

CER agreement between nz and au.

Still have to pay gst though. And if you've owned it for a while you can deprecate the value of the boat for gst purposes by 10% a year

No duty here on boats from oz anyway, regardless of length of ownership.

CER agreement between nz and au.

Still have to pay gst though. And if you've owned it for a while you can deprecate the value of the boat for gst purposes by 10% a year

yep no duty, as long as Aussie made, just to qualify, and even then have to careful that imported component cost (engines etc) doesn't surpass the local content as a few Riv importers found out a few years back.