Pilot boat

My first thoughts were, probably an idiot fishing in the middle of the Shipping channel while tied to a marker bouy. But the any of the Pilot boat skippers are far too good for that to happen. ;-)
     However, a Body missing a leg was found off shore from Mairangi Bay yesterday. They suspect a Boat had hit the person while they were swimming.
Interestingly, the Police have identified a Boat and are investigating. May or may not be related in some way.

Hmm, bad. He must have been a long way offshore ( for a swimmer) if the pilot boat hit him...

I wonder if the loss of the leg was the cause of death or post-mortem

My thoughts are with all those involved :-(

The witness said the dead man was wearing a wetsuit and it didn't appear he had been in the water very long.

possibly a triathlon or distance swimmer who got out too far?

when the harbour swims happen each swimmer is supposed to be supported by a kayaker

doesn't happen during training though

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11842914

it cruises at 30 knots

a002-Sea-trials-13-11-15.JPG

http://www.q-west.com/recently-completed/wakatere

https://youtu.be/e6hojhrl0w8

very sad

7mtr yellow kayaks are recommened to to have 1mtr masts with flag when they cross the ferry lanes to rangi as they often dip below swells

auckland-sea-kayaks.jpg

summit-tour---rangitoto-island.jpg?heigh

guessing the swimmer though he was safe as he wasn't in swimming in the shipping channel?

but of course the pilot boat, and everyone else with less than 5mtr? draft, doesn't need to take the big swing out around north head

Thats the old Waitemata, this one Wakatere? has jets and foils , one big one between the hulls and smaller trim ones aft, one wonders if they  knew they had hit something why they didnt stop, for there seemed to be no question it was her from early on. 

Those pilot boats are dangerous.  They drive too fast, and too close to other boats.  

Why were they so close to the beach where the swimmers are?  At those speeds they should stick to the shipping channel

I feel sorry for all involved and especially the man's family.  As a yacht, speed boat and launch owner (not all at once) I can say that it takes a huge amount of concentration to spot even a kayak on a slightly bumpy day.  I always take my hat off to the ferry captains who thread their way on busy days (well many do).  We all know how hard it is to spot a dolphin or shark let alone a similar sized human.

• Upvote 1

Iv found the kayakers between Rangitoto and Okahu Bay the worst, sometimes the lead one will have a flag a metre or so above LWL and there will be a trail of targets , stragglers sometimes up to 50m behind. A fast, pass safely astern of them usually gives them a bit of encouragement to paddle faster.

The pilot boat is just as constrained in its speed/location as any large launch and has to comply with COLREGs just the same as every other launch. The difference here being they actually know the COLREGs whereas it would seem a proportion of larger, fast launches perhaps illustrate they dont purely by their actions in and out of the harbour. Why should the Pilot be restricted to using the main shipping channel when its only draft constrained shipping that really needs to follow the channel. 

I feel the harbourmaster needs to be more active in the harbour and enforce some of the speed restrictions.

• Upvote 1

Is there any reg's on were people swim/kayak  ?

Well, there's the perfect beauracrat's solution then...

To reduce boating accidents and drowning statistics the Govt/local council must immediately enact a law banning people from being in the water when swimming and on/or near any water while kayaking. 

From what I have seen of the pilot boat,it comes around north head and aims for no1 buoy,so i think the swimmer has gone along way offshore and if he was training would you not have a support dinghy/kayak etc for the just incase he ran out of steam?

bit like young guy jogging with ear phones on crossing the railway line at Ranui last week,didn't hear/see the train and it would be the same imo the pilot boat,pink head very hard to see or mistaken for beach ball,need to wait for the full enquiry!