What are people's opinions on these?

They seem to deliver the goods, Disp. of just 3600kg, 36 foot, ocean rated (ClassA) and apparently go like a scalded cat, and have swing keel allowing access to shallow water...

e_0417ea45f1.jpeg

I like very much.

Many little features that put it far ahead of the majority of (fairly well designed) European production boats.

A good swing keel is a plus, forward facing saloon windows a very interesting concept. General sail handling / performance a big plus.

The interiors are def not your standard 3 bedroom 2 bathroom, but again well thought out and functional.

In my case, I park my boat behind a river bar (so as to not pay marina fees). I can't get out two hours each side of low tide. Having a swing keel would remove that constraint.

Also, a deep keel (3 m) gives substantially increased sailing performance, righting moment, efficient foil shape etc, but at 3 m can be a hassle even getting into some marina's.

I'm sure you may say a raft doesn't have any of those constraints, and better performance, but hay, horse for courses.

Dont forget the RM970 - as the hull is built out of goodstuff she could be built in Kiwiland - I cant believe no one has tried under licence to produce them, yes yes I know the hull and decks are currently under 20% of a yacht cost, however deals could be done. Just imagine new yachts built in NZ  how radical

So how would this compare to a Sunfast 3600, or an Elan S4 ?

Same same but different.

Very similar in basic concept, beamy, powerful, twin rudders etc.

This is where the subtleties of the design come into it. The Pogo 36 won european yacht of the year for a reason, however both the Sunfast 3600 and ELan S4 are accessible, already in NZ (and have agents here) and are at a good price point. Don't have the swing keel though. This gives access to 'affordable' moorings (not marinas) and still gives a boat with blistering perfromance.

I understand they don't have agents and only sell factory direct to save cost. Without reading the 10 pages on SA, how is that working out for the guy?

Fish (for a change!) my comment wasn't about keelers vs multis so much as varying draft by swinging a keel.  But having read the description I see that it's actually a lifting swing keel - in which case yes - that's great!

I guess I read swinging and thought canting - my bad

I like the idea of escaping the Marina monopoly

one of their big sales points is the ability to use 'cheap' moorings, which are generally shallow-ish draft. I couldn't quickly find the photos on their website, but they had a series of photos of their boats in French Harbours on mooring bouys etc, rather than in the marina cartels.

Having a draft (keel up) of 1.2 m substantially increases the options for moorings outside of marinas.....

And of course a draft (keel down) of 3 m gives some impressive sailing performance!

I understand they don't have agents and only sell factory direct to save cost. Without reading the 10 pages on SA, how is that working out for the guy?

Hey Fish. It's a great thread and worth the read. In short he loves it.

He is very honest in his appraisal of the boat and its advantages and shortcomings, with lots of photos and videos. As to be expected, he is struggling to get it going in the light, but in a blow it seems wicked. He has also tested the keel ram blow off valve by hitting a whale off QLD in a recent race. The ram just moved back 6" due to the blow off valve and he pumped it down again. Seems to have some great performance numbers! he is also very appreciative of the help he got from the factory which seem to be really helpful.

I like his approach to learning to get the thing moving. He is very methodical, and I should have done much more of this with the Marshall in build up to the RNI. For me, very interesting to read. Refreshing honesty with no ego!

Well, that all seems good enough for me. Deposit paid.

Ohhh, very exciting...

You'll keep it in NZ?

What sort of mooring are you thinking about, marina, or something utilising the shallow draft on a mooring up North somewhere?

Please keep us informed of the build progress.