A GRP Lotus 9.2 has come across my radar as a possible purchase but I have no personal experience of them. What are they like to sail single or short handed? How tender are they? How wet are they? How do they handle heavy weather? Could they get a Cat 1 if desired? Any issues or things to be aware of as they have aged? Weak points? What's the current purchase price range, not the advertised price range? 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you like me to jack you up a ride on one, I can easily do that. You can also chat to the owner who's had if for a while and both races and cruisers her. The boat is in Westhaven. If nothing else I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind having a chat about them.

PM a contact number/email if you're keen and I'll hook you up.

A GRP Lotus 9.2 has come across my radar as a possible purchase but I have no personal experience of them. What are they like to sail single or short handed? How tender are they? How wet are they? How do they handle heavy weather? Could they get a Cat 1 if desired? Any issues or things to be aware of as they have aged? Weak points? What's the current purchase price range, not the advertised price range? 

They're good boats.  Relatively heavy displacement amongst the typical 80's kiwi 30 foot designs like ross/young/farr/lidgard/whiting etc.  Also some would argue slightly under rigged - Alan Wright went on to design an updated version, the lotus 950 with a few minor tweaks including a bigger rig, so between the rig and the heavier displacement not especially tender.  With good sails and well sailed they still go ok and hold their own in club racing fleets.

Big volume inside for the 9.2m length.  Not sure on cat1, see no reason why not other than that they're small by todays offshore norm.  I'd imagine some have been offshore in the past although I don't know for sure.

Not aware of specific issues other than that some were factory finished and I think some may have been sold as hull and decks and finished by home builders meaning the quality of interior/fit out may vary.  Also worth checking any 30 year old glass boat for osmosis.  Other than that they do tend to be relatively expensive for an 80s 30 footer, people have still been asking 40-50 for them when tidy young 88s/whiting 29s etc are selling for 30ish and lotus 10.6's/farr 1020s/wright 10s etc are available for 50-70.

Would you like me to jack you up a ride on one, I can easily do that. You can also chat to the owner who's had if for a while and both races and cruisers her. The boat is in Westhaven. If nothing else I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind having a chat about them.

PM a contact number/email if you're keen and I'll hook you up.

Thanks, I'll send you a PM.

Other than that they do tend to be relatively expensive for an 80s 30 footer, people have still been asking 40-50 for them when tidy young 88s/whiting 29s etc are selling for 30ish and lotus 10.6's/farr 1020s/wright 10s etc are available for 50-70.

The asking price for some boats certainly seems high given the age and condition and this is not just directed at the Lotus either. Some people must think boats are a financial investment and should hold or increase in value where they are really an investment in living.