Would you like me to jack you up a ride on one, I can easily do that. You can also chat to the owner who's had if for a while and both races and cruisers her. The boat is in Westhaven. If nothing else I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind having a chat about them.

PM a contact number/email if you're keen and I'll hook you up.

Did the ride on the 9.2 ever happen and if so, how did it go

My brother in law hugh In Wellington has zingara lotus 9.2 He sailed it from auck to Wellington I met him in Wellington and sailed it up the mana that boat has sailed cook straight many times and mana area , he's planing a sounds cruise , perfect cruising interior , head room through out , big quarter berths , saloon ample room , galley is fine , it's never had pox or issues with the bottom , well built factory boats . But they seem to be quite expensive , and differ in condition , so check out several till you find one that has had good maintainance and care , but get it checked out

Mine has had a bottom job, but yes definitely get it checked out. Some of the home finished ones are still good boats. Some are still expensive but with their age there is a vast difference between good and bad. When we were looking, some of the things we encountered you wouldn't want to leave the marina on.

This is the same for a lot of the older Kiwi cruiser/racers. still plenty of good ones out there, just have to be careful.

That Nelson based Lotus 9.2 mentioned above, seen at Stewart Island and sailing around the South Island in Feb-March 2017 was probably me!! What a buzz that was, both doing the circumnavigation and reading someone had noticed, years later! Cheers Wild Violet. I posted videos of it, search for Sailing Taranto in YouTube. I'll try to post a link to the playlist, but might get into trouble with the administrator here for trying, but here goes...  https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ81Y1nsgnYWAEIIHrbYhEyI8Zc3I-d62

On 18/05/2017 at 1:19 PM, wild violet said:

Met one from nelson down stewart island this year did the whole south island trip mostly solo so are capable enough boats nice big cockpits sailed with one in the early eightys up east coast of oz it crossed the tasman no worrys.theysail well if i remember right.

• Like 1

New to the thread and looking to purchase our first family cruiser. Have looked at several 30footers including a L9.2 

One thing that puts me off it is the closed in transom - i have 3 kids who love being in and out of the water all day. Are there any 9.2 owners who've given their boat the chop and opened the back up? 

There are a couple that have done it along with adding a suger scoop. Kirsten J which was for sale last year and also Tutoko I believe. A cheaper option would be to create a smaller walkthrough in conjunction with a duckboard. Or you could always look for the later Lotus 950 which already has the open transom. The Raven 31 also has an open transom in that size range.

Lotus 960 Kirsten J 9.2 Modified with Sugar Scoop Stern.JPG

Exterior Extended Open transom Tutoko.JPG

Exterior Transom 1.jpg

Exterior Duckboard 1.jpg

Lotus 950.JPG

2 hours ago, Bigmac said:

New to the thread and looking to purchase our first family cruiser. Have looked at several 30footers including a L9.2 

One thing that puts me off it is the closed in transom - i have 3 kids who love being in and out of the water all day. Are there any 9.2 owners who've given their boat the chop and opened the back up? 

or consider a Farr 1020

As you can see this is a very functional option. The 9.2 is a very easy boat to sail as they are so well balanced and aren't family frighteners. Had this one 11 years now and still enjoy it as much as the day we bought it.

Probably the biggest volume 30fter around excluding a Pogo 30 but that's a different animal all together.

6 minutes ago, chariot said:

As you can see this is a very functional option. The 9.2 is a very easy boat to sail as they are so well balanced and aren't family frighteners. Had this one 11 years now and still enjoy it as much as the day we bought it.

Probably the biggest volume 30fter around excluding a Pogo 30 but that's a different animal all together.

Thanks chariot - The internal volume and cockpit size is definitely a mass drawcard for me as we are a family of 5. Will still be a squeeze but don't want to stretch the budget to a bigger boat until i'm sure all the family is in to it. If they are, then an upgrade in a few years to a 1020 or similar might be on the cards. Cheers for all the info and pics👌

On 10/04/2021 at 1:55 AM, chariot said:

Wow! I like that! Can I steal that idea? :-)

On 10/04/2021 at 11:55 AM, chariot said:

This is a cool idea. Do you know how they are constructed as an add on?

Presuming the boat wasn't built with them, that is.

9 hours ago, chariot said:

Feel free. It also adds waterline length when going up hill. Have watched all your youtube clips. Great viewing. The cockpit drains come out at the highest point underneath the scoops.

Cheers Chariot! Funny you should mention the cockpit drains ;-) I have been considering that at length this morning, and the engine exhaust. I see your exhaust appears to maybe be coming out athwart-ships  on starboard, perhaps? Improving the cockpit drain flow would be an added bonus, and/or at least inhibiting it somehow back filling when the arse drags when sailing over 6 knots. I love my duckboard on the back, serious lifestyle enhancement, but need to somehow attach that old windvane, so thinking over ways of improving many things with one major operation. Not sure the sugarscoop is the full and correct answer just yet but its an inspiration for sure. I need to improve the structural strength of the solarpanel arch, wish for dingy davits or some way to attach a small tender to the back, the windvane, drogue attachments on the sides, also better access from water back onto to the platform. All that and not look too overloaded! Not asking much aye. Oh the joys of small keelers. Just tyre kicking I suppose haha. Thanks for the feedback.

Great to see the writeups on the 9.2. I'm lucky enough to have a wooden one. They are very dry and light on the helm. I don't have a problem getting in and out of the water, I  have a substantial boarding platform and folding ladder. I think the scoop idea is a good one, means that you can keep the transom rudder. Real nice for going astern.!