New Screecher - Your impressions....

yeh - didn't think it looked too bad - pretty similar shape to Voom's - just your prod is not quite as long.

It's usually the m/h gennes that sheet to the aft beam

terapin screecher.JPG

Thanks Gents!   That is very helpful.  Looks like I got pretty close.  I can definitely grab more wind and carry it down with good boat speed.

What does your luff look like?   I'm debating whether I need to rig a 4:1 tack to increase luff tension, but I'm not sure what an optimal luff would be for a sail like this.

The luff line is 6mm Dyneema and thus should be able to take a load.  However, if I head up a bit high, and luff the luff, it responds with a loud CRACK! when I fall off.   I would like to minimize this because of the shock on the very light fabric.   It is two layers of .75 Mylar with a grid of Twaron fibers in between.

As info, the prod is 2 meters long.

The loud crack is something i experienced with my old screecher. I always thought it was lack of luff tension that caused it.  I have a normal 1:1 halyard, which I haul to the top. then i use a 2:1 tackline onto a winch. we winch until too scared to winch any more. I believe you should have as much tension as you can on the luff. 

You might need to tighten/shorten the luff cable. If the cable is set too loose you get that real whip loading but if the cable is taking the load then the luff should just hang off the cable and luff more like a headsail attached to a forestay. You should be able to adjust the cable length either at the tack or head with a lashing. They often require a fair bit of adjusting to get set just right. If in doubt make the cable shorter that you think.