Marina sailing or tiddlywinks

Marina sailing or nada  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you own a boat if keeping it on a marina berth was not an option?

• Yes, I would prefer a marina, but would moor out otherwise.
    • No, a walk on situation is a prerequisite.

love my swing mooring so easy for solo on and off,

I have owned keeler's for 30 years, always on a swing mooring, no problem at all. When we are loading stores for a cruise we use the public Jetty at PH. It would cost me 6K per annum to keep it on a ,marina. Thats a lot of cold hard after-tax dollars, might be different if you were in a syndicate.

I have owned keeler's for 30 years, always on a swing mooring, no problem at all. When we are loading stores for a cruise we use the public Jetty at PH. It would cost me 6K per annum to keep it on a ,marina. Thats a lot of cold hard after-tax dollars, might be different if you were in a syndicate.

$25 pw panmure, + club membership,cheap haulout wharf water and as we have to go past halfmoon bay no problem for fuel

I have a Farr940 (N30) on a trailer kept in hard stand in part to avoid the marina issue. We have also taken up short term marina hire for convenience when we want to sail an area for a month or two, remembering we are land locked.

The money we save by being on a pile mooring pays for all the toys on the boat. Would be 6k to go marina so we base our yearly budget on 6k which pays insurance, club membership, new sail every year plus the usual maintanance. Works well for us

The money we save by being on a pile mooring pays for all the toys on the boat. Would be 6k to go marina so we base our yearly budget on 6k which pays insurance, club membership, new sail every year plus the usual maintanance. Works well for us

All these comments, its good to see people enjoying plain old mucking about in boats without exorbitant costs.

Ive got a swing mooring in nelson and its rental almost covers my pile mooring in tne harbour and when it becomes vacant ill move out there.I have seen a lot of boats damaged in the marina here one boat has been hit seven times in the last 10 years.6 times by so called qualified skippers,to be fair he is parked in the row adjacent to the travellift. So ill feel happier out in the harbour.

Having spent many years on a swing mooring in the Tamaki river i must admit i much prefer a marina berth. I enjoy the ability to walk on and walk off and the ease of doing maintenance while on a marina berth.

Whenever there was a big blow when on a swing mooring I always was on edge as to the condition of the moorings in the surrounding area. I had my Cav 32 come off the mooring when waiting for maintenance to be carried out  on the mooring and I also had a neighboring boat hit me when he missed his mooring.

So it's a marina for me, but i'm not young any more so am over climbing on and off boats on swing moorings.

Do what I did - buy a house with marina berth rights. Currently pay around 2500 pa for a 15m berth.

Gulf Harbour Village is still underpriced...

I was looking at the Whitianga ones a few weeks back, def a great option once retired.

Are there cheaper options than this at GH though?  Still pretty pricey... 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1322821394.htm

Whitianga is definitely a lot cheaper than that. The cost of having a pontoon fitted is only about $37k which is a cheap marina and the annual charges are only about $120 so I'm told. 

Even the marina charges aren't to bad, it's just that the marinas are not cheap to buy.

Absolutely, that's one of the pricey ones. A 3 bedroom 2 bathroom town house, 136 m2, with a double garage and a 12 or 15 metre marina outside your door, starts about $850k. A bargain for Auckland I reckon...

• Upvote 1

Absolutely, that's one of the pricey ones. A 3 bedroom 2 bathroom town house, 136 m2, with a double garage and a 12 or 15 metre marina outside your door, starts about $850k. A bargain for Auckland I reckon...

That is pretty good value, esp if you have a boat.  Not quite as viable if you work in the city.

Are there any ongoing costs with the berth or do the fees cover that?

But some of those gh apartments have pretty steep bodycorp fees.

More than what BW/WH/GH charge in marina fees alone though?

32 ft yacht on pole mooring right next to the canopy bridge in Town Basin Marina in Whangarei, approx 10m row across in sheltered water. $125 per month, shower block etc 10m away and must be the cleanest marina services in the country. However over the winter you can talk nicely to the marina office and pop onto a vacant marina berth now and then to sort bits and pieces as needed.

Normally spend one to two months on one over the offpeak season for no extra charge. Yacht is 100% off the grid thou which helps.

Did pick up a marina berth in Marsden Point two summers ago for $100 a week with full services for a change of scenery.