TROUBLE MOORING AT LITTLE BUCKLANDS BEACH

Hi all

We have a Cav 26 moored at Little Bucklands Beach about 200 metres off Graingers Point. Does anyone moor around there and have trouble getting their mooring to the surface? We are on a rope strop. It takes two of us to get the buoy rope out of the water but yesterday we had to run a sheet down the side deck onto a cockpit winch to get it up. We do have an anchor winch but have only just bought the boat and it is one of the things that doesn't go yet :-( We've scraped some mussels off the rope as far down as we can reach but wonder if there is more or whether there is another issue like maybe the rope strop is too short and we are trying to lift the chain off the bottom. There is no noticeable difference between trying at high and low water. I had set up a diver to go down and have a look at slack water but unfortunately he got cold feet before going anywhere near the water.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I totally agree. Hadn't thought of a snag though. That would certainly explain it. Last serviced Feb 2015 so due early next year. I also hadn't thought of the harbourmaster. Will make contact.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I had a similar mooring line tension issue on my swing mooring about 300m from the halfmoon bay ferry terminal, earlier this year. I had quite a lot of mussels on it (about 30cm diameter) my moorings previous service was at a similar time to yours. I ended up going to the boat at low slack tide and winched the line up bit by bit clearing the mussels off. It was about 2m worth of them, that sorted my issue completely.

Before sorting it out, the mooring buoy got pulled under by the current on me, disappearing below the surface when I let go. It was a fairly unpleasant start to the weekend not knowing where my parking spot went or why. Be aware of that happening since it leaves you with a bit of a sinking feeling.

Good luck

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Have now spoken to a few people  & I think you have hit the nail on the head with the mussels thanks. We have had to attach a 20 litre drum to the mooring buoy to stop it going under just like yours as I too previously had to go hunting for a missing buoy!

Will follow your procedure and see how I go.

Thanks

Ian.

Last surveyed Feb 2015. So not too long to go before the 3 yearly is up. Sorry I failed to mention that this mooring is rented. I have since spoken to the owner who is investigating the situation and I really need to leave it with him now. Thanks all for your advice.

Cheers

Ian.

that seems a hell of a deep for a little boat

but your renting it right?

if you're trying to put up 10m of heavy top chain put there for a 60' boat

it will be a struggle

any reason you chose to rent that mooring?

the mooring between the ferry base and karaka,are they not meant to be inspected 2 yearly due to the amount of river traffic?i looked at one a couple of years ago and that was my insurance company requirement so settled for panmure.extra 1/2hr was no biggie now becoming a pain with the dry stack open and the 5knts ignored by most.

Thanks all for your help and comments. I need to close off this forum now as the mooring is rented. The owner is dealing with the council over the issue. I should really have approached him first and probably got a bit carried away with my post however have always got good help from crew.org in the past hence going here first. Cheers Ian.