Grey Water Pump

Frank

Got a new boat last weekend and it looks like the pump that drains the shower sump is not up to the job. Its not an immersion pump but sits about 400 mm above the pan with a hose to the sump. There is the usual coarse and fine filter set up, neither are blocked.

Any suggestions as to a good model/type of pump for this application ?

chrs

There was a common little Jabsco pump that commonly used for this type of thing, which could be what you have. It has a separate motor driving a toothed belt that drives a larger pulley. Does that sound like what you have? The internals are a diaphragm that is lifted up and down which does the sucking. They are a great little pump, bit very pricey. The advantage is that they will run dry and they will suck gungy water and small bits without blocking like a centrifugal pump will. Either the diaphragm has a hole in it, or maybe a valve has blocked or jammed if it has not been used for a bit.
The plus with this, if it is what you have, is that there are kits available to fit to them.
Or you can fit a cheaper centrifugal pump to the sump and go that way, but you have a greater chance of them blocking. Although with the two I have on board, the issues have always been hair blocking the filter and scunge blocking up the float switch.
Or you could also replace it with one of these. I have the Jabsco version as our main holding tank pumpout pump and it has worked flawlessly for many years and never blocked.
https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/boating/plumbing-pumps-toilets/general-purpose-pumps/tmc-electric-waste-pump

There was a common little Jabsco pump that commonly used for this type of thing, which could be what you have. It has a separate motor driving a toothed belt that drives a larger pulley. Does that sound like what you have? The internals are a diaphragm that is lifted up and down which does the sucking. They are a great little pump, bit very pricey. The advantage is that they will run dry and they will suck gungy water and small bits without blocking like a centrifugal pump will. Either the diaphragm has a hole in it, or maybe a valve has blocked or jammed if it has not been used for a bit.

The plus with this, if it is what you have, is that there are kits available to fit to them.

Or you can fit a cheaper centrifugal pump to the sump and go that way, but you have a greater chance of them blocking. Although with the two I have on board, the issues have always been hair blocking the filter and scunge blocking up the float switch.

Or you could also replace it with one of these. I have the Jabsco version as our main holding tank pumpout pump and it has worked flawlessly for many years and never blocked.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/boating/plumbing-pumps-toilets/general-purpose-pumps/tmc-electric-waste-pump

That looks like a real grunter , might be a bit much, I'll check out Burnsco on the weekend.