Hi All!

Inexperienced new owner here.

I've got a keel-stepped mast on a GRP boat (Stratus 747). My forward hatch and the mast both leak a little (they're on the to-fix list), and the water coming in has softened the keelson enough that it is compressing/cracking around the base of the mast (right-top side of it in the pic is the worst of it). More experienced friends have had a look and so far no one is panicking, but we all agree it's a problem that needs fixing. An idea I'm liking a lot is adding a steel plate along the keelson to reinforce the wood and spread the load, but this would also then require some kind of barrier between the steel plate and aluminium mast. One suggestion was an ice cream container, since that would then catch any leaked water and I could sponge it out easily.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

WP_20170702_002.jpg

Doesn't quite relate, but someone might get a laugh...

Racing a Fireball on the lower Severn river, 25+ knots, 6 foot waves.

The rig started to go a bit soft, so tightened it up a bit on the first downwind.

End of the next beat it was loose again, assumed the clear was slipping a bit, so pulled it as hard as I could.

By the end of the race it was all floppy again, and the boom seemed to have got a bit lower.

Once ashore we discovered that the hog had got a little moisture inside, and we'd split it down the middle, and the mast step had worked its way about 50mm down the split, and was trying to escape out the bottom.

We won the race but our series was over ????

• Downvote 1

FYI, she's GOP (Glass Over Ply) not GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) 

David, the aluminium would have to be pretty thick compared to say mild steel...?

awww bugger I thought GRP was Glass-Reinforced Ply... it made sense in my head.

I would very much like my mast to not escape out the bottom :D

I assume when you bought it you had a survey that made sure the damp spot didn't extend further? If not go crazy with a small hammer or the handle of a screwdriver tapping everywhere and listening for dull spots.

WHich is not relevant to the question asked but thought I'd throw it in. The good thing about GOP (glass over ply) is it is very easy to work with and repair.

thanks all for the feedback! I have a lot to think about... looking to do this project ASAP. will have a chat with some people and do some reading.

I found this site, which I thought was really interesting, if anyone is into the chemistry aspect of this subject:

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galvanic-corrosion-of-metals-connected-to-carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymers/2/1556

I'd cut it out till all the soft & rot is gone sorry.

Putting a bit of ali or steel over the top is just a Band-Aid.

It's a bit of a drag having to lift the rig, but once it's done its done.

And it's only labour & a bit of timber & epoxy, you won't need a whole lot of expensive parts.

Doesn't quite relate, but someone might get a laugh...

Racing a Fireball on the lower Severn river, 25+ knots, 6 foot waves.

The rig started to go a bit soft, so tightened it up a bit on the first downwind.

End of the next beat it was loose again, assumed the clear was slipping a bit, so pulled it as hard as I could.

By the end of the race it was all floppy again, and the boom seemed to have got a bit lower.

Once ashore we discovered that the hog had got a little moisture inside, and we'd split it down the middle, and the mast step had worked its way about 50mm down the split, and was trying to escape out the bottom.

We won the race but our series was over

The Keeler famous for something similar was the A class Tamatea, . She ended up with a hog in her sheer at the chainplates for life . Which ended sometime in the 2000's when she was vandalised and burnt in storage in west Auckland.

I have a deck stepped mizzen in my boat, over 40 odd years the step had worked and cracked the ply under it ( the cockpit sole) I ended up cutting out about a square foot ( the kauri underneath was pristine) and just scarfing a square of kauri back in. Worked like adream and was just plain fair wear and tear for all those decades.

So I reckon you just cut back to clean timber and rebate a block of hardwood back in on to that keelson/ step. Glue it and screw it.( minimal screws,silicone bronze  is pretty inert.)