Lost for months in the mid-Pacific

‘Appel, though, said she modified her sailboat, called the Sea Nymph, by adding six tons of fibreglass to the hull to make it thicker and heavier’

From stuff /AP article.

Anyone with some boat building knowledge want to comment on that? Even at 15m (boat length) that’s 400kg/m of extra fibreglass.

What?!?!?

Why?

How?

‘Appel, though, said she modified her sailboat, called the Sea Nymph, by adding six tons of fibreglass to the hull to make it thicker and heavier’

From stuff /AP article.

Anyone with some boat building knowledge want to comment on that? Even at 15m (boat length) that’s 400kg/m of extra fibreglass.

What?!?!?

Why?

How?

Oh thats easy , you just need the interpreter app, babelfish in the ear.

Force 11 gale = 11 knots apparent on the wind gear

6 tons fibreglass= 6kg microballoons fixing the last prang.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they were ice strengthening the Hull. You know, just in case they encountered an ice berg between Hawaii and Tahiti.

Came across This last night worth a look.

https://unreasonablydangerousonionrings.com/2017/10/31/19-reasons-this-survival-story-smells-fishy/

I would like to have seen a photo of the other side of that boat. Having spent time in rivers in the past on board, That side really did look like the lea side gone shitty for lack of sun then gets baked on. 

And a really clean underside, Can we get that Anti-foul?

I believe them - the growth up the side is from rolling around at sea directionless for so long.

Having said that they obviously had little clue about running a boat or how to extricate themselves from the situation.

Two large dogs! An indication of their decision making or lack of.

Two more to add to a long list of dreamers with no idea. They were lucky not to add themselves to the long list of shipwrecks  on coral reefs around the Pacific.

interesting enough

a couple of weeks ago

guess who popped up after a similar driftathon

Rimas Meleshyus left Hilo, Hawaii, in late May and was last heard from on July 31 near Fiji, mentioning that his tiller was damaged.

He said a storm damaged his sails before reaching the islands of Fiji.

Thought to be lost at sea ..............He sent a distress call that prompted Boating Safety to respond at 2 a.m. yesterday.

The yacht was towed into Saipan's port by the Department of Public Safety's Boating Safety Section yesterday

He said that after getting his passport and stocking up, and repairing his boat, he plans to go to Japan next, then to Alaska, and after that to Australia and the Indian Ocean.

The U.S. Coast Guard was the first to meet him at sea and had offered to fly him to safety, but Meleshyus reportedly refused to leave his boat

Meleshyus said if he is still in good health, he wants to visit every port in the world.

https://www.postguam.com/news/local/missing-sailor-last-heard-from-in-fiji-found-in-yacht/article_1acd3940-b31b-11e7-8810-d7ac260d10eb.html

from SA

At 0245 Oct 17th I was woken up by my cell phone and notified that there was a vessel in distress 15 miles SE of Saipan, no motor, no mainsail, tiller damaged and no updated transmissions.

“Mimsy” a 30 ft sail boat was in trouble.

My crew and I launched at 0400 in rain, 20 winds, and 500-800 ceilings to make a 105 mile transit to the location. We found Mimsy at 0500, the Zodiac launched from Saipan had to turn around due to sea state and visibility.

So I had to decide if I was going to put my swimmer in the water with 10ft plus seas in the middle of the night.

A mayday call was made…which by its definition is an emergency.

Unable to talk to the vessel, his maritime radio batteries had died, I made the choice to put my swimmer down the line.

The first time, he was able to get to the stern, but Rimas had the jib up and my swimmer couldn’t stay with the vessel that was bobbing dangerously.

I recovered the swimmer and waited for day to break.

I re-inserted my swimmer, who was able to grab a hold of the freeboard railing and jerk himself up.

He advised Rimas that he would be able to hoist him to safety…

...in between Rimas notifying my swimmer of his Facebook followers and Instagram handle, he said he couldn’t leave his boat.

Low on fuel I directed my swimmer to re-enter the water for recovery after telling him to pass to Rimas the heading for channel between Saipan and Tinian.

We recovered the swimmer, refueled, and then relocated the Mimsy prior to returning to base in order to pass a final lat/long…and heading…which by the way was 90 degrees off of the course required for him to reach the port.

Saipan rescue was able to get a boat out to him and tow him in…again.

I don’t normally like to write about the stuff I do at work and I promise you this isn’t grand standing…it’s a guy that is pissed off that I had to put my crew and especially my swimmer in harms way for this guy.

His “adventure” is going to eventually cost a life, and while most likely it will be his God forbid it’s somebody trying to help him when he cries wolf and is just looking for a free ride to port.

from SA

Saipan rescue was able to get a boat out to him and tow him in…again.

I don’t normally like to write about the stuff I do at work and I promise you this isn’t grand standing…it’s a guy that is pissed off that I had to put my crew and especially my swimmer in harms way for this guy.

His “adventure” is going to eventually cost a life, and while most likely it will be his God forbid it’s somebody trying to help him when he cries wolf and is just looking for a free ride to port.

This is the biggest issue.  Twits who take liberties with other people's lives in order to have 'an adventure' - that's a whole next level of narcissism > :mad:  

Twits who take liberties with other people's lives in order to have 'an adventure' - that's a whole next level of narcissism >  :mad:  

​I agree. As someone who is involved with marine rescue and a cruiser...

I try and have a well prepared boat and crew...I totally except that "stuff happens"....thats the point of having a rescue organisation...It may happen to me.....but..

I think it is VERY unfair to place someone elses life at risk unless it is of reasonable no fault and for no gain.

Our rules are clear and for a reason.

1st our boat

2nd our crew

3rd the party being rescued

​4th their vessel only if it is practical.

The international rules of rescue...a MAYDAY

Is...

Grave and imminent danger and requesting immediate assistance...

Grave means that....."I WILL DIE UNLESS HELPED NOW"

It is a response to saving life ONLY. 

No tows...No pets...No Face book or other ridiculous stuff...

(All else, Including a serious medical emergency on a sound vessel is a PAN PAN)  

Amazing what turns up floating around on the ocean

https://video.volvooceanrace.com/news/vnr-alert-turn-the-tide-on-plastic-sail-past-ghost-boat-abandoned-months-ago-following-dramatic-resc/s/604b0e9c-54d5-4cfc-90a5-208827932cc7

Dogs and ladies leave her in questionable circumstances then months later she nearly gets run down by the VOR.

The Pacific is a big ocean, what are the chances of that?

sort of brings into question the wisdom of US Navy leaving the vessel afloat. As VOR lady reports it is a hazard on many levels. Would a big ship would mow it down and not notice? I reckon the bloody mad owner should be made to recover the vessel.

Yeah, left with the hatches open and nothing secured. Either clean up, secure everything and come back for salvage, or open a seacock...

The boat obviously was not  in any imminent danger of sinking when abandoned...

And yes, a ship could run it down, and not notice, but it's as visible as the rest of us in daytime anyway. I'd hope the ship would see it, but id not be prepared to bet on it!