St 6002 autopilot control head

Nuisance problem, after some research it seems that the likely reason for my oldish raymarine autopilot periodically  switching to  standby all by itself is likely to be a faulty control head.

The boat does have 2 and one is definitely dead or dying. Didn't stop us doing anything on our 5 month cruise ,but it'll switch  after an hour or maybe 12 or 24 , doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why that I can see ( so far).

Anyone have one they'd like to sell me? I imagine a few people have upgraded to newer systems...I'll use a new one to test out the theory and  I'd like a spare regardless.

I hate to say it but I had the exact same problem with my old Autohelm (Raymarine) AP and a new 6002 head unit didn't fix the problem I'm sorry to say. My next step will be replacing the old course computer and see if that fixes things. 

I've wondered if its caused by a voltage spike from the next step regulator as it only seems to happen when motoring?! but then again, there's very little rhyme or reason to when it happens

Thanks Tuffy, I suspect you may be right , there's a lot of people say the same once the subject comes up. yes it could be a spike , but for me  it'll do it motoring or not , after 1 hr or 18.. doesn't seem to be a specific circumstance when it faults.

Check carefully all the connections from the controller to the computer. A momentary loss of coms will reset to standby. Or a loss of power causes a reboot of the computer, same issue. Have you seen it reset? Is it immediately, or following a restart?

I haven't ever seen it reset per se,IT, it just switches from auto to standby. Then I hit auto and it works again . I take your point about the connections and wiring,(and spike)

I just know that one of the two control heads has lost some functions  and want to replace it  with another . Or come to think of it , a remote on a wire . I use the second one for when we're making a reef pass or  through bommies, I can can stand high and have a better view of the water and bow spotter.

I've been over the connections at the computer and at each seatalk junction but I suppose there's always the chance of a damaged or compressed  wire somewhere.