Common faults

Hi all, I'm going to look at a GBE tomorrow, I don't know a great deal about them except they look super cool and I think I need one.

What are common things to look out for when checking it over? Also any other hints and tips in general would be much appreciated.

Front beam on my GBE is under SS straps.

I built a new beam my self, and then got it anodised. Sleeving the ends is a bitch.

When I say built, its not much more then a few holes and slots in an ali tube. Cant remember what it is, but there is better to use than stock std ali from ulrich.

We could strip our GBE from sailing to being packed on a road trailer in about 45mins, lifting hulls on with the help of a bystander or 2. Pulling her apart on the beach always attracted a few spectators. That did involve beams and tramps off etc as you'd expect.

So yes it's not hard swapping beams etc.

That's an awesome story KM, so very Kiwi I love it. That's good news, sounds like a fairly easy thing to change out the front beam, so with bolts and fittings removed it simply slides out? Nothing else holds it in.

Cool I think I'll be able to just dry out at low tide, tie forestry off temporarily to a paddle crab and change it out.

Front beam on my GBE is under SS straps.

I built a new beam my self, and then got it anodised. Sleeving the ends is a bitch.

When I say built, its not much more then a few holes and slots in an ali tube. Cant remember what it is, but there is better to use than stock std ali from ulrich.

Sleeving the ends?

Putting a tube inside the beams for last 500mm or so to strengthen where it is clamped. I see the one on trademe has tubes, might not be required.

I sleeved the main beam ends and front beam ends on mine.

congratulations kiwifish

have you had a beachcat of any type before?

cats are just so easy to sail they can easily lull you into a false sense of security

so when an invisible gust of 15 seconds lifts a hull out, when all you've ever had before were 5 second hull lifting gusts (picking you up then dropping you back) you suddenly discover the vanishing stability curve of catamarans

stabgraph.gifif a 5 sec gust lifts your hull clear 

every foot it goes higher, the less it needs to keep going

people don't normally panic until about 45 degrees

and about then the mast is taking over

great example at the end of this

i think virtually every 8.5 cat racing in auckland has been over, often when they've relaxed, cleated off the mainsheet etc 

Thanks everyone.

KM- Place your bet.

Erice- Thanks for the good info, No I haven't owned a beach cat before. I rented the plastic Hobie at 'the mount' for 1 hour early this year, same thing really isn't it hahaha.....

Freedom GBE- I bought the "cheap" one, Storm. I say "cheap" because it needs attention, love and $$. The other 2 on TM at moment would be better value, but at the asking price (Storms) it's a nice entry price and gives me time to upgrade as I go along, plus it feels good to be bringing a neglected boat up back to good condition.