Macif/Francis Gabart - Solo RTW attempt

Fantastic.....

He is traveling at warp speed......

and to think there is not a powered vessel on the planet that could do the same ...

Ummmm, errrr, yes there are plenty.

Faster, yes, but to sail around the globe non-stop?

SS United States (Trans Atlantic liner) maxed out at 38 knts, but could she have carried enough fuel for the journey at that speed?

Some of the fastest US Navy ships the Independence-class littoral combat ships, will pull 45 knts but max range is only some 4000 NM at 18knts.

The nuclear powered carriers, maybe? Unlimited range and max speed around 35knts?

As per Dr W.

Non Stop ?. ( Our rescue boats go faster but at 176 litres an hour aint going around the planet on a fill !!)

Earthrace stopped 13 times.. So far all I can find is obscure references to a nuclear sub...

Well OK, being able to go all the way around without refueling, sure. But you had only stated about speed IB. I failed my ESP course miserably. ;-)

The nuclear powered carriers, maybe? Unlimited range and max speed around 35knts?

One of them can go substantially faster than that, but the US Navy will not say how fast. they have a Policy of stating a max of 35kts plus. I got to know a guy that was an engineer onboard one. They did a speed trial from San Fran to LA or something like that. He was not allowed to tell me how fast they did, but afterward they had to put the ship in dry dock to replace twisted shafts. It was a lot of years back now, and I can't remember the carriers name.

There is no shortage of urban legends related to military harware. I have heard quite a bit about what the vessel I did my military service on could achive from colleagues who also did their military service in the navy but elsewhere -- none of it true...

Anyway, Gabart is now some 600 nautical miles from entering the south Atlantic and over the last 24 hours he covered more than 800 naitical miles.

/Martin

Wheels is wrong.  Sail is faster than powered vessels for circumnavigation.

Earthrace took 60 days. The current sailing record is 40 days.

Earthrace was an amazing powerboat that holds the record for a powerboat to circumnavigate the globe (60 days, 23 hours, 49 minutes). The new world record was completed in 27 June 2008 by skipper and founder of Earthrace, Pete Bethune, and his volunteer International crew.

On Friday 27th June 2008, Earthrace crossed the finish line in Sagunto at 13.24 GMT, breaking the world record by almost 14 days.

http://www.earthraceworldrecord.com/

Wheels is wrong.  Sail is faster than powered vessels for circumnavigation.

Earthrace took 60 days. The current sailing record is 40 days.

Mate, did I say circumnavigation? I don't think so. I am pretty sure I said Speed. SPEED is not spelt the same way as Circumnavigation. Yep the letters are very different now that I have typed them out here.

Amazing doesn't do it justice

I agree totally.

But I have a question, how much actual sailing would this madman be doing? I mean what inputs would be required?

It looks expensive and I would imagine it would have double auto pilots with back ups and electric everything, it probably makes his coffee in the morning.

A weather man on shore probably sends the auto pilot the co ordinates and the sheets adjust to suit, the furler winds in some sail and the main slides down a bit as it chases down another low system...

I haven’t raced anything around anything, but I would think with enough money this could be done or is being done right now???

Amazing...

As to sailing ?

Where do you draw the line when solo ??

You just have to have auto pilot(s) ..

In the scheme of modern sailing and methods I think they have done an excellent job.

What is also very exciting is that I think there is still quite a lot of scope for more speed yet.

This is like aircraft going from propeller to jet. : )

Well, so long as nothing goes drastically wrong, he looks like he'll shave almost 8 days off the record... that's some 18-20% better..

He should finish in the next day and a half, meaning a time of 42 days or so? maybe just into 43?

Francois is a special sailor. As I see it autopilots steer enabling him to sail the boat, keep up with repairs and routine checks of all equipment. In some of his recent blogs he makes it clear what physical and mental toll it takes to keep that machine at optimum speed. He thought he was doing really well getting more than 4 hours sleep in 24. Sorry I don't remember what site that was on.

Done and dusted.  Wonder what you do next when you've just knocked that sort of challenge off.  Go around the wrong way?

François Gabart breaks the record around the world alone!
Starting Saturday, November 4 at 10:05 am from Ushant, François Gabart cut this Sunday, December 17 at 2:45 (French time) the finish line of his solo world tour, located between Cape Lizard and Ouessant. For his first attempt, the skipper of the trimaran MACIF sets a new record of the solo round the world in 42 days 16 hours 40 minutes and 35 seconds, it improves from 6 days 10 hours 23 minutes and 53 seconds the time put on December 25, 2016 by Thomas Coville (49 days 3 hours 4 minutes 28 seconds). His time is the second absolute, crew and solitary combined, around the world, only IDEC Sport (Francis Joyon) having done better on January 26, 2017 on the Jules Verne Trophy (40 days 23 hours 30 minutes and 30 seconds). The MACIF trimaran will have traveled 27,859.7 miles