Here is the boat for the 2021 Cup . .

Wow, I can see it now.

Design meeting #1:

OK guys and girls how about a few suggestions on where the design hurdles may lie.

It will be like the New York Stock exchange during the '87 crash.

Oh to be a fly on the wall.

Not sure how you can get away with the tight match race maneuvers they are talking up, when you have rapier like scythes sticking out each side of the boat. The scythes could be underwater, at an indeterminate distance away from the boat, or up in the air, at either rigging or crew head height. Take your pick.

If Sir Ben Ainslee is racing again (aka Sir Crash) someone will get killed.

If Sir Ben Ainslee is racing again (aka Sir Crash) someone will get killed.

From Stuff, they're talking about a diamond shaped virtual safety zone around the boat with onboard display - so they apparently recognize there's a problem... to me it seems like a less than ideal (i.e. safe) solution. And they're still claiming that this design is more likely to produce technology that will trickle down to other sailors than those weird multi-thingy whatsits.

It just looks like a really ugly trimaran with weird weighted ama's.

Dunno where mark orams gets the idea that this is a brilliant design !!

Open hull design which is barely in the water.

has it got a wing sail or a soft sail?

And it looks seriously expensive meaning maybe 2 or 3 challengers max !!

Also the race area appears to be between northern end of rangi and takapuna beach.

max tide, max chop, lots of weed and commercial traffic.

Also they can't anchor in there either.

Odd !! 

I would have loved to see the ac60 cats racing up and down the ditch where they had the Louis Vitton world series races a few years ago. 

I think they took the worst features of a multihull and a mono and this is the result. 

I like the split keel idea but expected it to be more like a conventional keel in 2 parts. One vertical, one canted. Both needed to right.

Still if they build it and it works then I'll be right behind them

From Stuff, they're talking about a diamond shaped virtual safety zone around the boat with onboard display - so they apparently recognize there's a problem... to me it seems like a less than ideal (i.e. safe) solution. And they're still claiming that this design is more likely to produce technology that will trickle down to other sailors than those weird multi-thingy whatsits.

Oh thats good.

I understand virtual electronic zones that show up on tablets and other hand held devices are brilliant at stopping monolithic carbon at 50 knts combined closing speed. Very Star Wars "deploy the force field". 

This America's Cup is going to be a hell of a lot more interesting and have a hell of a lot more trickle down technology than I thought. If they can perfect the virtual safety zone we could deploy it on cars and stop the road toll!

Sorry Dalts but this is the stupidest idea I have seen for a long time, you have just lost me as an America's Cup fan. It was said the new boats were going to be more cost effective and more exciting than the AC50 Cats, - I cant see that as even being remotely achievable with these things.

Sorry Dalts but this is the stupidest idea I have seen for a long time, you have just lost me as an America's Cup fan. It was said the new boats were going to be more cost effective and more exciting than the AC50 Cats, - I cant see that as even being remotely achievable with these things.

+1

I still say an open box rule would be better, unlimited number of hulls and appendages, just build the fastest (say) 50 footer you can. If it's not suitable for the race area, you won't win.

• Upvote 1

I reckon its a great idea. It'll be a quantum leap for monohull design with a real chance of trickle down. 

I reckon in 10 years, we'll have a dozen 50fter club racing version of these things parked in Westhaven.

I still say an open box rule would be better, unlimited number of hulls and appendages, just build the fastest (say) 50 footer you can. If it's not suitable for the race area, you won't win.

that would be fun to see at first, for sure, to see what they build. but the racing would probably be awful.

so just thinking about counter balancing a 100 foot rig on a 75 foot hull there has to be a several ton bulb on each of those foil flappy ama things.

How the F$%k are they gonna get those things to wave around as per the video.

Still it will be interesting to watch them try !!!

How the F$%k are they gonna get those things to wave around as per the video.

The same way they wave canting keels on 120ft ocean going race boats around.  The forces required are no different - just located differently 

I don't see this concept is particularly innovative at all if you think through it logically.

The same way they wave canting keels on 120ft ocean going race boats around.  The forces required are no different - just located differently 

I don't see this concept is particularly innovative at all if you think through it logically.

Um how many canting keels have fallen off - lots

also canting keels don't cant 200 odd degrees 

and there are two of these flappy things

heavy things don't fly, they sink!

THINK about the loads on everything!! - I mean cats load up heaps and we're not trying to lug around tons of ballast

how do you power the cant movement of the flappy things - engine, fuel, batteries?

Look hats off to them if it works. I just can't see it !!

and it is against every reason for dumping the ac50's 

I rate it, plus it makes a mockery of the mono/multi divide. Essentially a foiling cat or mono is the same in many respects, they are just platforms for crew to work on once the boat is flying. 

No, multi's and mono's are very different.

Multi's are inherently stable and require no ballast.

in fact they're built as light as possible.

Mono's require lead to keep them upright. 

canting keelers are inefficient multihulls, in that they have a weighty ballasted thing to windward, rather than a light floaty thing to leeward.

Imoca 60 Foiling canters are basically trimarans with a very big center hull. 

There are several stories of the guys sailing home after the canting keel has fallen off.

These things are something else the ballasted foil things are what really confuses me. 

These AC72's seem to be mixing the worst of mono and multi theories.

I think the ballasted foil story is red herring.

Currently they make foils out of monolithic carbon, right? 

I've never had a good close up look at monolithic carbon, but isn't it very dense and heavy as a heavy thing?

Currently no-one has successfully made a composite foam foil. Gittana (?) the foiling ultimate tri, just tried and failed miserably.

Getting back to the AC 75, I think the 'ballasted foil' line is PR speak for, the foils are going to be monolithic carbon, cause we know we can make them. They'll be heavy as f*ck, so we're going to spin a line about the 'spare one', sticking up in the air on the other side of the boat, being for 'righting moment'.

The heavy as foils also have the added benefit of stopping our new mullet boats tipping over when we park them by the wharf. Bonus.

PR......