Show us your boat sailing

The nice things people do!

Heading out today with some friends on board for the first time and a boat (whose name I've forgotten :( ) called out they had taken some photo's, called out my number and they texted them through.  Cheers guys, very cool thing to do!

67-01.jpg

One some other people took of 3 of us in the dinghy at Carey bay a couple of weeks ago (no comments on the bodge patch up on the front please...)

20190127-1251322-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

What sort of dinghy is that Muzled? and do you like it?

I've been looking around for a suitable one that wont deflate every time I want to use it, and have been investigating various pram designs. For what is supposed to be a very good style of dinghy, there aren't that many prams about.

She be a Tender Behind, Fish. (John Welsford,)

It's really good, fits four of us in it piece of cake, had 3 adults and 3 kids in it today with no worries at all.

I love that I can row it everywhere, had it 10 months now and haven't put an outboard on it.

Downside is it's bloody heavy!  Must be in the 40-50kg range.  Which makes it a pain to get on the boat, have to winch it up the side which means holding a bit of foam between it and the boat so the boat doesn't get the bash. (the ply on the front was to reinforce it when lifting and towing it)

And it tows like a drogue, knocks half a knot off our speed when motoring, no biggy if you're only going a few miles but much further and it's back on board.

I have a set of plans if you want to build one.  (I was about to build one and this one came on on TM for $800 inc the sail so I took it).

I've heard rumors KM is setting up a production line to build carbon ones...  ;-)  ;-)  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Some of you may recognise this ex - Auckland boat Bump n Grind. This pic is on a coastal race at the weekend from the outer Queen Charlotte Sound to a pub on D’Urville island. We had conditions like the photo 20 to 30 knots) for about 3 1/2 hours of 4 1/4 hour race, had a great kite run, a while with the fractional gennaker, then code 0 to finish in the lee of a big hill where the wind was light. Was an epic day sailing. We managed 2nd on line in a fleet of 38’ to 45’ boats (plus a Lotus 9.2). Top speed for the day was about when this photo was taken, around 14 knots. Great party at D’Urville afterwards, then fishing and a kite run home the next day. 7 happy crew.

FA9B75D9-B5E9-41BF-9A49-52F0F3A66180.png

• Upvote 3

She be a Tender Behind, Fish. (John Welsford,)

It's really good, fits four of us in it piece of cake, had 3 adults and 3 kids in it today with no worries at all.

I love that I can row it everywhere, had it 10 months now and haven't put an outboard on it.

Downside is it's bloody heavy!  Must be in the 40-50kg range.  Which makes it a pain to get on the boat, have to winch it up the side which means holding a bit of foam between it and the boat so the boat doesn't get the bash. (the ply on the front was to reinforce it when lifting and towing it)

And it tows like a drogue, knocks half a knot off our speed when motoring, no biggy if you're only going a few miles but much further and it's back on board.

I have a set of plans if you want to build one.  (I was about to build one and this one came on on TM for $800 inc the sail so I took it).

I've heard rumors KM is setting up a production line to build carbon ones...  ;-)  ;-)  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I'd looked at the Tender Behind and thought it would be way too small for what I need, at 2.2m.

But I only need to carry 2 adults and 2 kids as standard (3 adults 2 kids max). So you reckon that would be a piece of cake?

Supposed to weigh 32 kg, which sounds reasonable, if you can achieve that.

How is it for standing up in it / climbing onto the mother ship / stepping down into it? We've got a deflatable at the moment (that I need to replace), and its one strong point is it is very stable for stepping down into.

I'd looked at the Tender Behind and thought it would be way too small for what I need, at 2.2m.

But I only need to carry 2 adults and 2 kids as standard (3 adults 2 kids max). So you reckon that would be a piece of cake?

Supposed to weigh 32 kg, which sounds reasonable, if you can achieve that.

How is it for standing up in it / climbing onto the mother ship / stepping down into it? We've got a deflatable at the moment (that I need to replace), and its one strong point is it is very stable for stepping down into.

You're pretty similar to us in family size I'd say Fish, our kids are 7 and 8 and it's got ample room for another adult.  (having said that we fall into the Terry Wright adult size rather than Jonah Lomu or Carl Hayman size...)

The stability is really good, obviously not as footpath like as a deflatable but certainly not tippy like some dinks I've been in, kids get in and out no worries at all.  They've got quite a flat bottom so that makes a big difference.  Downside to that flat ass is towing it.

The 32kg, yeah, I read that as well...  I'm pretty sure ours is well over that, never weighed it but I'd guess chuck another 10kg on top of the 'advertised' weight, we haul ours in with a halyard as there is no way two of us can lift it on.  Our old deflatable was 31kg and although it was awkward we could lift it up, not a show of lifting the TB in.

Def some trade offs but I like that they're nice to row and I haven't used an outboard all summer.

• Upvote 1

JW does some great designs but 2.2 for a family? That surprises me.

A Delta is a NZ design from the 80's. Quite a big towing and sailing dinghy at 10 ft but low drag and very stable. As the kids got bigger we moved up through various tenders, got most of them still, the delta was the best, rows, sails , goes well with an outboard, tow it in all sorts of crap.

And "Delta" is also this - mostly above my pay grade . . 

It is used among sailboat racers . .

"In general physics, delta-v is simply a change in velocity. The Greek uppercase letter delta is the standard mathematical symbol to represent change in some quantity. Depending on the situation, delta-v can be either a spatial vector (Δv) or scalar (Δv)."

On 3/08/2018 at 10:54 AM, smithy09 said:

WAS my boat last week... (Sob).. Aerial shots by Lissa photography. Last shot by Suellen.

14CC 160 medium.jpg

14CC 161 medium.jpg

15272208_1263166260424276_8624403558603906284_o.jpg

Sad to say Smithy passed away yesterday but not before marrying his sweetheart the day before. Fair winds mate, you fought a good fight :-(

• Like 9
11 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Sad to say Smithy passed away yesterday but not before marrying his sweetheart the day before. Fair winds mate, you fought a good fight :-(

That's very sad news he was a great guy. I had no idea he was even sick. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Probably 35 + - odd years ago there was a bare boat charter firm in the B.o.I. that had a very tidy "hard" dinghy that towed well and sailed even better. I had no need of a dinghy at the time so never found out who designed / made them. The mould is possibly languishing behind someones shed!

20 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Ahh damn, sorry to hear that. Great guy. Travel well Friend. 

On 12/03/2023 at 8:43 PM, Deep Purple said:

Faark. I just heard this from Bill. 

RIP Smithy, my first RNI , thanks mate!

Live every day people!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3