Cruising and Camping in the Hauraki Gulf

Hey everyone

I'm trying to get the family into sailing and have put aside some time to take them cruising in the gulf this summer. My wife who doesn't like boats much and get seasick easily has said that she wants to be able to sleep in a tent at night. I have found a few doc campsites around at motutapu, motuihe and motuora that could work. Also Poukaraka flats on Waiheke could be an option.

Do you guys have any local knowledge about these places or suggestions of other places that could work?

Cheers

You could set up a Basecamp at motuihe and daysail from there, pretty sheltered on one side or the other there.or even just spend time on the boat in the anchorage,it's real nice island and great beachs. Just don,t get caught having to do the wind against tide channel chop there, that can get quite scary for some people.

• Upvote 1

Use to do Mahurangi, I'd sail boat up, babe would drive car up therefore having car if she wanted to bail. Mahurangi made a good base for day trips to surrounding islands and even tender trip up to Warkworth. There are also a few d.o.c camp sites around Mahurangi that you can pitch a tent at a resonable rate.

• Upvote 1

its during the day you get sick on a boat not at night at anchor in sheltered bay, this will never work, take her out to izzy bay etc etc....  its not practical to setup camp every night.     Its flat in most bays at night that are sheltered

I'm planning on using Sullivan's Bay, Maharangi, as a base to ease the kids into overnight cruising. There is a campground there, book able via the regional park. New toilet block too. It will book up fast over Christmas though.

The main reason is you (or the better half) can drive up. Anchorages are good and sheltered, several around Maharangi harbour that suit a lot of wind directions, and it's close to lots of places to go to on the boat, Saddle Island (5min) and small enough for kids to explore as an island, Motuora (kiwis) Motuketekete etc, wreck of the Rewa, and it's not far to Kawau, copper mine, mansion house etc.

The handy part of the plan, if the weather packs up, she can drive home, and you can enjoy a nice beat to windward in some short Tiri Channel chop without worrying about how much 'fun' the family is having on a warm up / taster cruise.

• Upvote 1

yeah Tiri is fun in a blow...

It's a whole lot more enjoyable if your missus, prone to seasickness, is in the car and not the bottom of the cockpit...

What do they say, the best cure for seasickness is to sit under an apple tree.

• Upvote 1

Gotta say I find the misogynistic comments here quite off and puerile . Not funny or witty either.

Anyway I wanted to say that my wife is the same but once in a quiet anchorage is fine and doesn't need to go ashore. Depending on the level of motion- sickness you may find different things that work. Try standing up and balancing alone, with only a loose hold if needed for safety, and focusing on the horizon. If the motion sickness gets too bad a safety harness and tether on the leeward side to prevent going overboard with the lunch is needed.

• Downvote 2

I have deleted a couple of posts here. Please keep to the site rules - on the menu at the top, under "more" then "site rules".

If you see something that contravenes the rules, report it so the moderators see it - we don't read every post...

DO NOT respond to it yourself, as this often exacerbates the problem, an YOU may be penalised as well as the errant initial problem poster.

And for those complaining about site content - remember it is provided by the members, and if there is a thread that annoys you, don't read it!