More exciting????

wheels

I'm sorry, but these big multi's don't make the racing look anymore eciting. In fact, they are so big and so smooth, they look effortless.

you only saw them racing in 5 knots of breeze mono AC boats arent that exciting in 5 knots of breeze either.

In 20 knots and waves they would been an amazing sight, and the risk of capsize makes the race way more exciting to watch

Yeah but just quietly if I want to watch a sport for the crashes I'll watch NASCAR. I don't actually enjoy watching boats get smashed up - my wallet goes out in sympathy, although these guys have the dosh and they're in the game.

I feel that the AC has lost its gloss over the last few years, especially with the uninitiated (read Kerre Woodham's article in the weekend Harold) ((I don't usually, the headline caught my eye :wink: )), due to courtroom bullshit. Unfortunately, when you are trying to sway the public to watch your sport and attract sponsors, bitching with each other for years is just a turnoff. It will need a spectacular visual event to get other than die hard fans to bother taking a look. It won't matter how awesomely amazing the boats are if they're over the horizon, 'cos don't forget, these beasties are going to need a lot of searoom to sail in. There's no way you'd see a LVC type event off North Head in multis and residents of the East Coast Bays beaches will need powerful bineys to see who's who. Who'd bother going out on the water to watch? They'll be dots on the horizon in no time?

Half the fun of the AC has been the prestart, after the gun's gone it can be tedious unless the trailing boat can turn on an amazing feat of tactics/boathandling. The multis will engage in more of a fighter pilot shoot n scoot rather than a protracted engagement I would imagine.

Everyone seems to be comparing the new multis to the current crop of AC monos - did mono design halt there or have I missed something?

Awesome boats tho, I'd love to go for a fang on one.

..... and don't worry, I've already countered half the above arguments in my head :lol:

For sailors, the speed, the smooth wake, the power and balance will be interesting, better when set to suitable music = used in an advert for some men's product, fast cars etc

For the vast TV audience, who watch F1 racing, NASCAR, V8's supercars, even equestrian jumping events etc.; it is the "CRASHES" and mishaps that the TV replay and replay that keeps the audience tuned in.

The aprehension of will vs won't crash this time is the key interest factor.

Sport has the great advantage of being unscripted. Nobody knows what is going to happen next with the current possible exception of the Pakistan cricket team.

So two cats on closing tacks both doing 30+ knots will mean the safety distance of one metre will vanish very quickly when closing speeds are above 50 knots.

However the earlier comment asking if F1 racing would be interesting with only two cars racing also springs to mind.

Further, Joe Public will not be able to sit in a grandstand to watch the next AC races, because in less than 5 minutes, they will be fading into the blur and haze of poor vision.

Now a really big crash would be replayed many times. Problem is there is no guarantee of crew safety.

So on the one hand WOW :!: :!: but seconds later sorrow and anguish etc.

So there will be no close, side by side or cross tacking racing as in monohulls in previous years.

From sailing on Sundreamer at about 20+knots, we were concerned (and keeping a good lookout) about missing other yachts often well away, and other multis over half a mile away on the other side of the harbour when short tacking up to Westhaven. A very interesting experience.

Now the AC cats will be so much bigger, wider, faster . . .

and possibly will be keeping well apart from each other aiming to finish the course safety rather than engage in close quarters action.

So definately not as "exciting" but in winds over 25knots, who knows??

FPSA:

As if there isn't enough going on, the sport's major properties and sponsorships are going to see some of the biggest upheavals of all. Already it seems that the entire Audi MedCup fleet is for sale (ETNZ has already sold theirs) and the future of the event looks bleak, including the death of the GP 42, the World Match Racing Tour is going to have to reinvent itself without the AC as a raison d'etre, and ISAF, US Sailing, and every other douchebag that voted to give the Tornado the boot from the Olympics looks even more out of touch than they already did.

Must admit - if it turns out to be true - I did not anticipate the end of the MedCup and will miss that.

I cant see many crashes..? The whole thing with a wing is miniscule adjustments, letting you get the machine on edge, then keep it there in a safe (ish) manner. Super quick to get rid of some power, but small enough adjustments to keep you powered and flying a hull.

Plus sailing 'crashes' was stuffing up sail handling.. top mark roundings etc :thumbup:

Now its furl and unfurl..

I think that article went on about the extreme 40s (losing to the mini AC 45s) and a few other aswell!

AC = intrigue more than racing.

Archived