Bloody engine

Shibaura stopped the other day amd never really found fault. Anyway has been running good then yesterday replaced leaky hose to injector pump and wont go now. Checked glowplugs glow ok, spinning her over and fuel squirting to injectors.Even shot of ether didnt start. Suggestions plse.

So while turning over the engine, Crack open the nut on the feed pipe on the injector and let the air bleed out till it is pure fuel. While still turning over, you then nip the pipe nut back up again and hopefully it should fire.

Have you got a inline fuel pump say like this.wDWvvMk.jpg.

With the ignition on this will pump away merrily so that you can bleed the pump through to injectors without draining your battery.

The injector return line will not really burst into life until engine is humming away.

Glow plugs are a easy test.

If sure that injectors are receiving fuel then the only thing you are missing is compression.

Ether is not good for valves etc so avoid if possible.

I wonder about the very fine filter on the inlet banjo to the injector pump - they can partially block the supply to the pump and cause all sorts of wierd and intermittent trouble (and often they still indicate ok while winding the starter with an injector disconnected) - a bit of a long shot but it has happened before ... are you giving it plenty of throttle after the bleeding ? my 5 cents worth - good luck

Done that and she spurts out the pipe ok. Dont see any movement in the clear return overflow hose.Thinks should see something happening?

You won't. It is a little wee dribble at best and only happens once fuel is at full pressure inside the Injector. There is a valve in the head of the Injector under a very heavy spring. As the fuel pressure rises, the pressure overcomes the spring tension and the seat of the valve lifts and the fuel squirts through the nozzle at that pressure, then the valve shuts. But there is still some fuel inside under pressure and it is that pressurised fuel that is then released as the "return" fuel.

It is this pressure required to lift that valve off it's seat, that air bubbles stop from happening. The Air bubble compresses and the pressure does not rise enough.

If you seem to have plenty of fuel, there is some other problem.

You don't have to have an electric lift pump. There should be a manual lift pump on the engine. Use this to ensure all air is out of the injector pump. You won't get the lift pump to push diesel out the injector tube. That can only be done by turning over the engine. If you are getting a good amount of fuel out the bleed screws, then filters must be ok.

Are you sure the battery is good and you are getting good turn over speed. That can make a huge difference.

CRC engine start goes a long way in situations like this,  I always carry 2 cans just in case, has save my ass offshore, the comment about a good battery is spot on, more amps = higher compression = easier starting every time.

Hi, no fuel lift pump on her. New filter.Injectors back in, fuel shoots out of the 2 pipes, Diesel shop had no ideas. Will charge battery. Bloody mystery. Diesel gets to injectors but wont go. Try ether still no go.

Reading your initial post two things come to mind - you changed the supply hose and now it wont go , so surely a good bleed of the supply,pump, and injectors and you should be back in business...but the second thing is it stopped recently but then went ok again - was this after the overhaul of the pump/injectors ? I'm wondering if the reason it stopped recently is back in play...Any extra background info could shed some light here. As others have mentioned if the battery or starter is a bit dozy it swings the odds against you especially if there is something else such as a little bit of air still in the system somewhere .

If all the usual suspect don't work it must be something else. A diesel should only require fuel and compression. Does it even fire or puff smoke out of the exhaust?

If it won't even fire with ether would suggest that compression must be the issue if it does fire with ether but won't run would fuel is the issue.

turn it over and sprey hits of CRC engine start into the air intake....  remove air filter...  you will get minor knocking   but the engine will actually run this way

I can bleed me Perkins 4108 this way and they are bastards to manually bleed

I had a no start situation one day missed the race start grumpy me grumpy woman and all it happened to be was the stop cable was left pulled out.. What a donkey I felt like

Hey I did that once. almost too embarrassed to mention it. We were becalmed and drifting onto coral so I was shitting myself and not thinking straight,

Put some clean fresh diesel in a household spray bottle and remove air filter then crank engine whilst spraying into air intake manifold.

Far better for the engine than ether WD40 etc etc.

If no luck it will pay to check the engine compression with the correct tester.

Standard compression testers will not do the job.

Hey I did that once. almost too embarrassed to mention it. We were becalmed and drifting onto coral so I was shitting myself and not thinking straight,

You of all people should know there is never anything silly enough to be embarrassing when sailing. There are two types of Boaties. Those that have and those that will. No matter how silly something sounds, we all have either done it or will do.

However, I doubt this is the problem anyway, as all these engine stop parts work by stopping the fuelfrom being pumped from the IP to the Injector. But Vic has said he is getting fuel at the injector, which would not happen if the stop thingy was pulled.