Private Skipper fined after accident

It is quite right to compare this to Fullers and the Antaeus crash, though it begs the question -what about the other equally serious launch crashes during this period also at night that no one told the media about?? And true KM the Antaeus one was very different circumstances - broad daylight etc etc

I was referring to the post incident actions by assorted parties. One or 2 cocked up large and in doing so lead to the majority of the publics perception someone got 'away' with it. A HUGE input to the whole incidents outcome, that the public now see as far from optimal or fair, was due to the very same publics outcry and baying for blood when they had no fecking idea of what was actually going on. The public fucked over Gypsy as much as the crash did. But that's no surprise, the public seems incapable to wait for facts before they demand the hangmans noose is used.

I'm bloody sure those post incident cock-ups and the publics desire for blood at almost any cost, was a significant input into the size of the fine. A simple 'Opps we fecked up large last time so lets take this dude down big time and very publicly so we don't look like dicks yet again'.

I could be wrong but everything certainly points to that being a highly viable explanation. Is that good or bad??? A bit of both I'd say.

Don't suppose you'd want to regale us with any actual facts?

If we compare this to the guy who steals a car, picks up some mates, does a runner from the police and then crashes injuring is mates

What would you expect his fine to be ?

The passengers of the car are able to recognise the level of risk and can influence the driver, where as the boat passengers or air craft passengers for example may not be aware of the risk and assume the skipper or pilot know what they are doing. Hence I think that skippers and pilots for that matter, have more responsibility than a driver of a car and legislation should reflect that.

But yes I also agree that the size of the fines don’t appear to be consistent or fair.

passengers in a car may not be aware of the risk - children for example. So I think the analogy to a recreational skipper is fair (air craft pilots are a different matter).

For accurate comparison - his fine was $6750, His reparation payments to the passengers who were hurt totalled ~128k.

who remembers Waitara 2yrs ago ??failing to have onboard lifejackets and charged with manslaughter $5k

He was ordered to pay Xu's family - his wife and 13-year-old daughter - $5000 in reparation 

www.stuff.co.nz/national/99216003/skipper-drowns-months-after-boating-accident-manslaughter-conviction

Totally inconsistent!

http://www.mastermariners.org.nz/?p=721

Ok KM please explain why $200 is all  Brown got fined,ok St Clair Brown if you please.

Meanwhile the Harbourmaster took the easy way out and issued a $200 infringement to the skipper of the ANTAEUS, Mr Charles St Clair Brown, for breach of the local Harbourmasters bylaws.