Denatured alcohol (meths) stoves?

Terry B

Hi all, you may recall my thread on this in late summer. I still haven't decided what to replace my old 2 burner cooker with. I'm currently using a little portable but it's not a long term solution.

I have a 25' trailer sailer, gas bottle stored in cabin under the burner/stove. I have a gas detector. The gas burner is b?%gered.

I'm leaning towards an Origo 3000 as a replacement. It's a 2 burner (I don't need a grill or stove, just burners). Looking thru the web, it appears they are safer (especially given where my gas bottle is stored - and there's nowhere else to put it without spending a fortune re-designing the yacht), take up less space (I get the gas bottle storage area back!), they are tried and true.

Two questions:

1. Anybody got one? Any thoughts from owners of them?

2. Given the denatured alcohol in NZ is purple meths, does this smell badly?

As always, any thoughts would be appreciated. And if you have no idea what I'm talking about the Smart Marine website has them for sale.

Cheers - and roll on Summer!!!!!!!!!!

I would go for one of those self contained Gas camping cookers. The one that you screw the cannister of gas into the unit. It has peizo ignition and the can is captive and the whole thing is small and compact. And it is actually quite amazing how long the cans last.

Wheels, you mean the ones that the can screws on to the unit from underneath?

If you do, they aren't very stable - I'd have to rig something to keep them upright when the wash comes thru in Issie Bay (as it does)...........

I've got a temporary one - real cheap, that the little cannister (size/shape of a fly spray can) sits on the end of the unit lying down. But I'm assuming you're not talking about these? $29 to buy at the local Mitre 10, Marine Store etc............

Okay, I'm going to post this and then figure out how to post a piccie of what I mean.............

Okay, I've had a lok at various other websites and forums from overseas and I think I'll give the Origo a try.

A plus is that if it catches fire you can put it out with water - which is a big bonus for stupid people who panic.................. like me................Plus water makes a lot less mess than fire extinguishers!!!!

And if the beer runs out I can forget the cooking and use the meths................... I understand that if you drain it thru bread a cuppla times it takes away that awful smell and flavour. At least I think that's what Wheels said.............

Thanks for your comments people.

Terry.

hehe, I have about 40ltrs left out of 200Ltrs of pure ethanol. You can have 20ltrs for free if you knew of some way of getting it to yourself. I can't put it on a courier because it would be dangerous goods.

Hi Wheels - thanks for that - sorry about the slow reply - been away in Aussie for a week. Good time, average weather...............

And I've splashed out on the meths stove - instal it on the gimbals next week.

HERE COMES SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Wheels - thanks for that - sorry about the slow reply - been away in Aussie for a week. Good time, average weather...............

And I've splashed out on the meths stove - instal it on the gimbals next week.

HERE COMES SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how you get on. I'm considering the change as well - partly as a safety thing but also because my cockpit lockers are too small to store anything except the smallest gas bottles - which are expensive and not available in alloy.

I don't think you will regret getting the meths cooker. I have had one for 6 years on my Trailer Yacht and I like it. Many of the trailer yachts down here use them. They are expensive though and not being pressurized makes them safer but they do not work well outside in a breeze. They are also a bit slower than gas.

If you don't put the rubber seals back in your boat smells of meths.

One bloke said he got a headach after using the cooker with the boat closed up so I don't know if they emit more carbon monoxide.

Archived