Wha's your level of interest

Got Gin Wigmore pumping at huge decibels right now. Great quirky voice, I do like it
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: See her live KM. Excellent!! Even for this old cruster who generally listens to old hippy 70s music.

On The AC. I will take a wait and see approach. I am tending to the "boring" side of things, but if we can get 20kn+ Well then could be some carnage, but I think the close match racing has gone, and that is a shame as it will come down to boatspeed. The last final in monos produced some nail biting line matches and some brilliant sailing. I'm not sure that we will see that again for a long time, but I hope to be proven wrong.

To all you doom and gloomers.

The racing in the V5 AC boats that you all rave about being close and exciting is it any more or less exciting than the racing in the 12 metres ?

Because lets face it there is a huge difference in performance between a 12m and a V5 AC boat right ?

So if the racing is still close and exciting despite them not still racing 12m dinosaurs why might it not be close and exciting in the future ?

And just because they are not One designs if the box rule is good enough there may not be these massive speed differences that some of you are discussing

Most of the racing in the V5 boats was average at best, as a lot of racing in little wind often is.

There is absolutely zero reason the racing in the future can't be legendary, it'll have to be or the already seriously fragile AC will just die and/or morph into some 'TV wank feast' to rip coin from the unknowning public.

But I don't think we'll see that in the next AC as the boats are so new, there will be a bedding in process for the designers and sailors. The one after? No reason to think it couldn't be the bees knees.

Yep I'm with KM. Odds are strongly that it'll be at least another cycle, if not more, before we get close racing. It'll take that long for the design space to narrow to a point where luck & skill can foot it with boatspeed. Plus BMWO has a presumed design lead in winged cats at this stage.

And this is assuming the design rule stays fairly stable and doesn't revert to monos.

Which isn't to say there won't be exciting racing in the challenger knockouts when chance brings together two boats with similar speeds. It's just unlikely that we'll see racing as close as the 2007 AC, for example.

Then there's the argument that because the wind range seems to be wider for 2013, designers will effectively be forced to gamble and optimise for a certain set of conditions. This angle has been played up a bit in the past, not sure how much there is to it.

If we want slow and close why not run the AC in Opti's. At least there'll be a bigger challenger series that way.

It's about time the multi's were given a go. The AC has been about innovation for eons. No one thought that the cuban fibre sails would benefit the everyday sailor, yet now carbon string sails are common.

No one has yet given a compelling reason why multi's won't work. Mostly it's old school regimented thinking that dislikes this new approach only because they're comfortable with the old approach.

I'm absolutely keen to see it in multi's and think it's about time all the blinkered yachties would at least give it a go. Instead of shooting it down before, why don't you save it til you can give your "I told you so's" afterwards? I'm sure we'll hear plenty of that anyway.

By restricting it to cats they have ensured that the differences won't be so great. You won't see an absolute routing like you did between BMWO and Asslinghi (love it - from a cultured SA contributor). At the speeds they travel, there may still only be say a minute between the finishers but the distance will be greater. What's the problem with that?

BRING IT ON!!!!

well that's a similar vein isn't it Squid. One lot exchanging one kind of prejudice for another and saying that their version is ok.

Look around and you'll find easy well over 1/2 of the boat specific comments are in the vein of 'Shut up you mono dudes and your bitching' made by multi fans. Hard to find all the masses of mono dudes actually bitching though. Yes there are a few but it's a small few.

Hey, it's about time Cats did something significant in the world. It has been pretty much monos and proas that have done the big things.... like discover the world and little stuff like that :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

A good yacht race has zero to do with what speed the boats are travelling at.

Hey, it's about time Cats did something significant in the world. It has been pretty much monos and proas that have done the big things.... like discover the world and little stuff like that :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

actually that's only according to your white middle class education. You forgot that the PI's were travelling all over the largest ocean on the planet in their multis long before any musket toting white fulla thought it could be done! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

actually that's only according to your white middle class education. You forgot that the PI's were travelling all over the largest ocean on the planet in their multis long before any musket toting white fulla thought it could be done! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

KM did sort of have the PI's covered with the proas, you have forgotten about the Viking Longboats though they discovered the new world long before anyone else. :P

Correct Mr Willow, but more than 'sort of' as the PI's were the ones very much in mind with the Proa comment in the 1st place. They didn't and still don't do Cats to any significant degree. According to my pale skin education at the Uni of Crew.Org, specifically a section titled 'Multis and other things', I do believe Cats and Proas are quite differing beasts ;)

I knew I'd get a bite to that somewhat of a set-up comment :twisted: :thumbup:

When the museum first opened they had a proa in the water that looked very much like the one in squids photo except memory makes me think it was much larger. It was planned to go out sailing on her at one time, not sure why we were not allowed to sail her, we even had someone that had sailed her before and spoke very highly of speed and ease to sail. this was in 1995 I think.

Archived