Fizz Nasty cuts a boat (almost) in half, carries on.

damn the bastards responsible for this should be locked up and the key thrown away.  But sadly we know that even if our (allegded) law enforcement officers do anything at all about it the offenders will get a stern talking to and walk away scot free.  Damn launchies

Not disputing its a horror story but...

Article said it was a an alloy boat with a motor 'screaming' so most likely a tinnie trailer boat and light enough to lift over the yacht on impact. Doesn't sound like a launch to me but hey lets not the facts get in the way of a good launch bashing cos all launchies no nothing about seamanship have never trimmed a main and are generally f**kwits....

A launch would have gone straight through it.

So it happened at 8:15 pm when its very marginal for light and they were displaying a stern light only? No masthead 360 degree jobbie like the rules require? Hit on the beam but could have been angled 5 degrees to port obscuring the stern light... they were hit starboard side.

How many threads on here debating masthead lights? How many suggestions that an LED light in the cockpit is ok? Plenty.

They were arses for not stopping and speeding in marginal light but it sounds like the situation wasnt helped by non-compliant lighting at anchor.

God help us, except the judge is probably

fashionably atheist.

:roll:  :razz:  :twisted:  I'll send my thoughts and prayers to both the tinnie owners and the plywood owner.  I'm sure it'll be a great comfort to them both  :twisted:  :razz:  :wtf:

• Upvote 1

Most outboards from about 10hp upwards don't have shear pins they have a rubber type bush gizmo, that absorbs the shock and gets you home been like that for over 35 years. This do's have the added benefit of shifting the damage to more expensive parts of the outboard leg. 

Found that out the hard way.

Just had a chat to someone I know well who works for the Harbour Masters office.

The tinnie handed themselves in the next day.

Both have been charged, the yacht with displaying incorrect lights and the tinnie with failing to keep a proper lookout and excessive speed for the conditions.

A good outcome Hats off to Fizzer for turning himself in , will both indiscretions cancel each other out?, I would lay odds on alcohol being involved, possibly for both parties in this instance.

Hope the boating public in general gets the message both a proper lookout and proper lighting at night are key to avoiding what could have easily been a tragedy.