Solo Trans Tasman

The point I was trying to get across was if it were less expensive more would make the start line. 

It is also true that as a nation we are much more "time poor" than we used to be. But that would lead us back to the political thread. (But there were requirements for the race that could be loosened to make that easier too).

I didn't say I was unhappy with the requirements, just the cost. I think if those responsible were to look at every aspect of competing costs could be lowered significantly.

Honestly a six boat race could be started by one person and an airhorn on the end of the breakwater. Take your own finish time when Mooloolaba heads bears south and no one needed at the other end. Ditch IRC (expensive) and offer Mark some rum to do the handicapping.

And yes getting a stability test for BP is horseshit. 

I assume they are good with satphones?? How about no need to report in if you carry a tracking device?

Can't remember the details but there were some requirements at the start and finish, you had to be in NP 2??weeks before the start. I can't remember the finish but they were unhappy with my suggestion that I would do a 180 after crossing the finish and sail home.

It's all about attitude. The cat 1 requirements could be made cheaper with no loss of efficacy. Race management could be done cheaper, paying for IRC is just silly.

But hey, I pulled the plug so if you still want to do it knock yourself out. But I'd rather race 20 boats than 6.

I am surprised that no-one bought the Reactor 25 that was for sale a year or two ago.

It had done the Trans Tasman race, was fully refurbished, with all Cat 1 gear and sold for less than 30K.

That would have been one of the cheapest ways to do the race.

Im not really a racing person , (mainly because I am to lazy and would rather run at a pace that I can read a book and cook a full meal  :-) ) But I do understand the interest , challenge and joy in it. So..

Why not set up a Crew.org Trans taz   "cruise in company ".. ;-) . (Race)

The rules could be set up over a couple of meetings or an email session. People could help people. 

I am sure as mentioned a handicapper could be found. Start could be a pre ordained time or  a friend of could do the horn bit.

Finish either self timed ...(send a txt pic of a set thing to a given number)  or have a chat with one of the local Oz clubs or even business...

Safeties would be standard NZ offshore rules. 

Clearing in would be done by all at the same border force port of entry with all entries contacting that office at the same time with their necessary details. The prize would be whatever the COTT race group chose amongst themselves...(Time to get on board with mount gay rum again ?).

It could be as cheap as a cruise across with the very real potential of sponsorship if done right.

I think there is a bit more to it than that. Ironically, what you describe is exactly what the original TT people wanted to do.

It took them a lot of time to convince the Yachting Federation that single handed sailing was not illegal, and then to sanction the race...

The upshot of all of that was that the original proponents of the race had to go find a little dinghy racing club and convince them they wanted to run an international single crewed keel boat race.

I don't think there is any substantial increase in cost because it is a race, as more knowledgeable posters have already posted here. In reality, it is just bloody hard work, including just making it to the start line. The sense of achievement of this race is proportional to the effort and adversity to overcome. Most ocean races go somewhere nice and tropical / sunny. This one just ends up in Stralia, then you have to turn around and come home again (or do an IT and go cruising up Indonesia way...)

I pulled out as well 2 months back.  Reason is not cost, just timing and logistics. 

Nelly Rose is ready to do the race, and I sailed her solo back from Fiji as a qualifier in December.  Main reason for me was simply timing and also the location of leaving. Personally if they made the start line somewhere like Nelson, Wellington or Auckland where you can leave your yacht in a marina until the moment of leaving, arrive, fuel and food and start then it would be a better option.  

The people who want to race are on the start line and that's cool.  Weather has been hard work.  Can understand why so many people have pulled out.  Having the race every four years is nuts.  It should be every 2 years.  I'll do the Auckland to New Cal instead.  

Doesn't look like anyone will set any records this year.

Big high pressure, no wind...

five day forecast doesn't show much hope of getting any reasonable pressure. Hope they're all carry enough food for an extended cruise.

Slow going out there, all boats heading generally north or north west (330 deg to 350 deg), assuming they are trying to skirt the blocking high and plug into easterlies that are lying more north of the rhumb line track.

Estimated finish times are from 13 days to 18 ish days, not looking like a fast trip at all.