Solo Trans Tasman

The fleet are all moving well now, and pointing at the finish line.

Look like they've plugged into the easterlies on the north side of the high.

Robbery is showing 3.7 knts as the slowest, but they are to the south of everyone else.

Will be interesting if the fleet can stay ahead of the calm centre of the high that looks to be tracking slowly north. Will be a good trip now if the wind holds, otherwise it will be a glassy drifter trying to get downwind in a light breeze. Could make crossing the EAC painful...

From videos on race home page it seems that the lead boat (Morning Star?) started on its own.

I was expecting a more traditional start -all boats at once.

Or have I viewed the wrong video

From videos on race home page it seems that the lead boat (Morning Star?) started on its own.

I was expecting a more traditional start -all boats at once.

Or have I viewed the wrong video

Woopsy...wrong race..i meant this to do with Melbourne Osaka.

Melbourne Osaka had multiple race starts over a number of days, I guess in the hope that they all reach the finish line at a similar time. An unscheduled, race management dictated pit stop to escape Cyclone Iris may impact that though... 

So the previous records and history are just that : history?

I've been wondering about this element.

There has certainly been some agitation in the past about moving the start from New Plymouth. On the face of it primarily for berthing space and logistics for entrants pre-start. I believe Nelson was having a good look at it, the impression I got was from a Council driven tourism / profile exposure kind of thing.

A lot of the resistance to moving it was the history and records etc from New Plymouth to Mooloolaba (and probably the hard work put in back in the day by the original organisers against the establishment just to let the race go ahead, what with all these dirty single handers who couldn't even keep a proper lookout, etc...)

NP to Mooloolaba 1290nm

NP to Southport. 1230

AKL to Southport 1275

SSANZ would consider running a AKL to SP race in conjunction with NP Sailing club if they wanted assistance

Maybe a two handed division starting a day or so later?

Plus I may even be tempted to come out of retirement for that one.

• Upvote 1

Bream head to north Cape 115nm..

Manganui to nth cape 42.

About as many facilities in Monganui for boats as there is in NP (i.e. no marina) so removes a key driver for having a different start location.