Pile moorings - Tamaki River

Is there anyone here who can comment on the suitability and usability of the pile moorings in the Tamaki River?

The lease is up on my Hobsonville marina berth shortly and co-incidentally AT/harbourmaster have a 40ft pile mooring available in the 3 rows opposite the Panmure Boat club.

I've never used a pile mooring before and always enjoyed the walk on, walk off ease of use with a berth however the close proximity to the gulf and cost of a pile mooring are appealing, hence im keen to hear feedback from others that keep their boat there or are familiar with the setup.

Key things I'd be interested are

1. Security - is there an issue with thieves, vagrants etc.

2. Dinghy and car parking. What and where do others do? Is the PYBC the best option for this? Is it a good club?

3. How easy is it to be setup and use pile moorings? I assume a good quality line bow and stern with some chafe protection is all thats needed?

Any feedback that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Parking is pretty scarce around the PBYC.

As you have touched on key question is do you mind giving up on the "comforts" of a marina eg easy access to the boat, not having to worry about it (so much) in a blow, water and power available on demand, not needing to rig flags and all sorts of other stuff to stop the bird life s#%&&%#g on the boat.

I belonged to the club for 5 years great club only left as I moved north there are a few live aboard people that I think deter thevies .Also if you join the club you get to use the pontoon and work berths also store your dinghy under the club. Same distance to Browns Is as from Westhaven and you don’t have to put up with the washing machine. We enjoyed our time up there and the club

Belonged to PYBC for 22 years. Good little club with good haulout facilities. River can get a bit boisterous as is a bit of a wind tunnel. Some real characters within that club. Haven't heard how the Vitaly brothers are these days. Used to be a wealth of knowledge in that hardstand area on any given weekend. 

Belonged to PYBC for 22 years. Good little club with good haulout facilities. River can get a bit boisterous as is a bit of a wind tunnel. Some real characters within that club. Haven't heard how the Vitaly brothers are these days. Used to be a wealth of knowledge in that hardstand area on any given weekend. 

Leo and lolli are still going strong,well lolli is 92?Still has Jardran

$100 per yr to store dinghy under club which is access via club card,quick haul to blast of slime etc $50 up n down or $75 to stay overnight,haul out $50 up  $50 relaunch about $15 per day with cradle hire incl, membership around $220 single or family $320 until children reach 18 yrs old,have not heard of any thefts for awhile, 

Leo and lolli are still going strong,well lolli is 92?Still has Jardran

$100 per yr to store dinghy under club which is access via club card,quick haul to blast of slime etc $50 up n down or $75 to stay overnight,haul out $50 up  $50 relaunch about $15 per day with cradle hire incl, membership around $220 single or family $320 until children reach 18 yrs old,have not heard of any thefts for awhile, 

Used to be forward hand for the thursday night races on Jardran years ago. Always plenty of laughs and bullsh---t. Used to love the 2 handed 3 legged race. Jardran was always the party boat.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

I took a look over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at the PBC facilities and the area in general. Now I need to get my head around the boat jobs that need to be addressed if I sever the marina umbilical cord.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

I took a look over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at the PBC facilities and the area in general. Now I need to get my head around the boat jobs that need to be addressed if I sever the marina umbilical cord.

PBC is fantastic in my opinion: and if I wasn't Waikato based that is where I would want to be! :)

We are on poles in the Clevedon River and used to be in a marina once. Poles are great. Getting on and off is made real easy if you use a weighted high line system. Especially if you put a clip in the middle so while you are on the poles you can just clip it fore and aft to avoid chafe.

Same situation. Being forced off swing mooring at Sandspit and coming to Tamaki River piles. Choice between inside row, directly off PBC and outside row, closer to the bridge, on the end. Checked out PBC and was pleased with the helpfulness of members, in particular Mr Fox, the hard stand manager. Will join if able. Not sure how to best set up lines, pick-up buoys etc. look Moe complex than swing. Does anyone know if there is an expert, service who can help set up a good, easy, solid line system? Any advice appreciated. Tim

6 hours ago, chariot said:

You will certainly be able to join PYBC. John Bennett may be able to give good advise on pile line setup. Good club and good hardstand facilities.

I hear John is no longer in charge or around. Its the Pete Tolley show now by all accounts. 

• Confused 1