Shane strikes again

Don't agree with his politics, but that forum thankfully been shut down. 

Anyone for an argument?

No, it wasn't shut down, its still in smalltalk,

Smalltalk has been moved to the bottom of the page, where no one ever scrolls down to.

All this dribble belongs in smalltalk, not marine talk. You are more than welcome to argue about it down there.

should sue the bastard for plagirization 

unless he's a 2 fingered lexdistic too

Heh good one, that made me laugh.

I should go check out his website for the first time in ages, see if he has managed to winkle enough funds for his Fisher Pilothouse to go sail the rest of Scotland in.

No, it wasn't shut down, its still in smalltalk,

Smalltalk has been moved to the bottom of the page, where no one ever scrolls down to.

All this dribble belongs in smalltalk, not marine talk. You are more than welcome to argue about it down there.

Nothings changed from when I was in school then - im not paying attention. I honestly thought it had been removed.  Doh me!

Anyway, thanks, at least I know where to go when Im bored and need to have an argument - KM is always up for it.

don't upset the fish

we need them

to keep biting

If this was Facebook, I would have hit "like" all your above posts. :thumbup:

Darnit though, I had thought there was an update on Shane

I had wondered what happened to him. Not the best choice of places to try and Winter over in.
I wouldn't believe a word of what he said in that article. It's pretty obvious by now that the guy has a serious mental issue and frankly, he needs help in that respect. It is possible he has been offered a Home and he has refused it. Interestingly, most of the Homeless had been removed off the streets and given Housing during the Covid lockdown. But many  of them have now moved back out to the streets again. They prefer to be on the streets because there are too many "rules" when they are in a Home. Like keeping it clean for instance. Paying bills, signing forms etc etc. It is all too much for them.
I don't say that in a mocking way. It's because of their Mental issues. There are many reasons why. Such as a feeling of restrictions and control being placed on them. The streets mean freedom from those restrictions. Another is that it all seems to hard. Too much paper work to deal with. To many things that need to be done to simply live.  I think that is what Shane found. It wasn't really a love of sailing, because he did none. It was the idea of living out there with no one telling him he had to do anything. But in reality, even out on the water did not isolate him fully from rules/regulations.
He really does need help. Like so many Homeless. We can't just find homes for them and then think the problem is solved. There needs to be managed shelters for them. But that opens up a whole other set of problems.

• Upvote 6

Interesting observations Wheels.
Unfortunately the Mental Health Services in NZ are decidedly third world so I wouldn't hold out much hope for Shane there.
Shane's life is a horror story of abuse, the worst of it experienced under State care.
Also he's intellectually disabled; in times past he would have been under care of the IHC.
He may have a metal illness as well, but I don't know.
He was in State care at about 7 or 8 years of age where he quickly had to learn how to f*ck and suck his caregivers and the older kids.
And the day he turned 16, like all kids in State care then, he officially became an adult, and so was kicked out with no support.
He is the way he is largely because of the 'support' he had as a child/teenager in State care and because intellectually he's so challenged.
Like most abused people, he learnt to say what he thinks people want to hear that will do him the least harm.
That's a matter of survival not lying.
And needless to say, (I hope being yachties you're all smart enough to have the insight) he can hardly read, actually I doubt he knows how to tell the time.
Someone will have had to tell him what the letter from Queenstown Council said as he couldn't possibly have read it himself. 
Shane is not a joke and I really don't understand why you are all so keen to make fun of him and people like him.
In the context of sailing he would certainly qualify for the Sailability programnme.
And like most people with similar pasts, he's hardly going to be inclined to trust Social Workers etc now, after all the crap he's experienced under their help and care in the past.

• Upvote 4

I think it is really sad...like wheels and others I have tried to help him directly in the past including contacting emergency counselling services and the police. Fact is - he is currently running a go fund me page for his dog, which has raised 165.00 or so. If he is so challenged how is he achieving this? He has a terrible reputation for ripping people off and having been born and bred in Qtown...it is not a place to be homeless in winter. 

Look I don't know the answers to your very valid questions.
He manages to do some things and he's able to get people to help him.
Obviously as you have and as have I.
I don't think he goes out deliberately to rip people off, I think he just has no concept of consequences.
When the marina manager, or lender or whoever starts screaming for their money he just moves on. 
But I seriously don't think that there's anything malicious in his intent.
I sort of liken him to one of Barry Crump's characters: a bit of a likable rogue.