Catamaran Sunk off Whangarei with 6 POB

Sounds dramatic.

2 adults, 4 kids, full mayday at 4:50 am, at the Mokohinau's.

3 rescue helicopters, Coastguard boat(s), Navy inshore patrol ship, POAL Pilot launch and a couple of container ships responded.

CG said the rescue was aided by the boat doing everything right, including setting off a locator beacon. No mention of the use of foil sheets though?

From the photos it's definitely sunk. Pure speculation, but you'd have to guess they've hit something, either a nav error and they've hit the mokes, or maybe ufo strike?

These things happen I guess, good to see they were on to it enough to make sure it ended with everyone on board safe and sound.

Profit. We were talking to the kids on the dock yesterday. All excited about their holiday at GB

Is that a Club boat BP?

I saw people getting organised on a cat on Tuesday in the river, now you mention it the boat looks very similar to the one in the photo. Mooring is on the far side of the river opposite the upstream dinghy pontoon.

Hope the kids aren't traumatised. They could either see it as an amazing adventure with great stories to tell their school mates at the end of the holidays, or they are scared silly and put off boating for life.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/355564/six-people-rescued-from-sinking-yacht

Some more details here.

30 foot cat, hit rocks while on route from Whangaparaoa to Great Barrier.

All got into a dinghy and made it to shore before being rescued by helicopter.

Will be interested to know the actual location. The Mokes isn't between Whangaparaoa and GB.

strange to be moving at that time of day with family,4.50am,wondering did they get a wind shift and anchorage became unattendable so decided to move?

Good outcome all were rescued. Owner/Skipper must confident with emergency procedures

Bit of confusion over the news stories,1st one has it off whangarei at the mokes, 2nd article heading Whangaparoa to Gt barrier

strange to be moving at that time of day with family,4.50am,

Not really, young kids get bored easily on long passages. 

If I were taking the family to Barrier I'd night sail over while the kids slept (that said, I'd expect to be in and parked before 4:30 am). It's also fairly normal for 'Dad' to get up early and get underway before dawn so as to arrive in cool new anchorage mid morning for the kids to explore during the day. 

But yes, bit of confusion over where this actually occurred. They got in a dinghy and were rescue off some sort of land, the photos show reasonable pieces of land...

Not really, young kids get bored easily on long passages. 

If I were taking the family to Barrier I'd night sail over while the kids slept (that said, I'd expect to be in and parked before 4:30 am). It's also fairly normal for 'Dad' to get up early and get underway before dawn so as to arrive in cool new anchorage mid morning for the kids to explore during the day. 

But yes, bit of confusion over where this actually occurred. They got in a dinghy and were rescue off some sort of land, the photos show reasonable pieces of land...

my early take offs were day break not in the dark unless it hit the fan and had to move.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/355564/six-people-rescued-from-sinking-yacht

Some more details here.

30 foot cat, hit rocks while on route from Whangaparaoa to Great Barrier.

All got into a dinghy and made it to shore before being rescued by helicopter.

Will be interested to know the actual location. The Mokes isn't between Whangaparaoa and GB.

That article fits the usual level of accuracy we've come to expect. 

Little Barrier has been upgraded according to the photo. :roll: